[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 70Hz VGA Card?

daly@ecs.umass.edu (Bryon Daly, ECE dept, UMass, Amherst) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan16.055141.10013@cs.ucla.edu>, chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
> Which VGA/SuperVGA cards have 70Hz vertical refresh rate for 640x480 and
> 800x600 resolutions?  Anybody using one?  Reviews in magazines?
> The only one I have found so far is ATI VGA Wonder+.  Any information will
> be greatly appreciated.
> --
>
> Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

My Diamond SpeedStar manual claims that it supports 72Hz at 640x480 and 800x600
(37.8 KHz and 48.1 KHz horiz freq, respectively) if you have a Sony 1304 class
monitor (ie, one that is capable of those frequencies).
It also says 70 Hz at 1024x768 if you have a SpeedStar VGA+, using an NEC 4D/5D
monitor.  (that's 56.5 KHz horiz freq).

I can't tell you more than that, because my monitor is only an NEC 3D
equivalent (not as good as the Sony), and only gets 72 Hz at 640x480.  But I
haven't really noticed any difference between that and what a normal VGA card
puts out on a normal VGA monitor.

In other things, it's a pretty fast video board, with 1MB RAM on it, so it can
do 256 colors at 1024x768 (looks nice in Windows!).  PC Magazine and Byte have
both briefly mentioned it in assorted articles as being a good performer.

Good luck,

--Bryon Daly
daly@ecs.umass.edu