[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Genoa SVGA 6400 Bug?

mnrausch@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Martin Rausche (AKBP WS 1990)) (01/16/91)

I think that there are some bugs in the BIOS of this graphics card.
1) There is no cursor in the right column of the screen (press space until
   you reach the right border of the screen)
2) If you initialize a graphics mode the screen is not blanked.
3) The scrolling procedure of Int10h doesn't set the directionflag. That
   occurs if you for example write a TP programm that changes this flag
   ( sometimes a Move does this ) and you then call ClrScr. The line at the
   bottom of the screen is not blanked.

Any comments? Thanks in advance. Martin.
| EMail: mnrausch@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de                           |

tici@uni-paderborn.de (Thomas Thissen) (01/17/91)

mnrausch@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Martin Rausche (AKBP WS 1990)) writes:

>I think that there are some bugs in the BIOS of this graphics card.
>1) There is no cursor in the right column of the screen (press space until
>   you reach the right border of the screen)
>2) If you initialize a graphics mode the screen is not blanked.
>3) The scrolling procedure of Int10h doesn't set the directionflag. That
>   occurs if you for example write a TP programm that changes this flag
>   ( sometimes a Move does this ) and you then call ClrScr. The line at the
>   bottom of the screen is not blanked.

>Any comments? Thanks in advance. Martin.

I have the same problem using my GENOA 6400 (BIOS 3.30).

I think it`s a board-timing-problem too. (I have a SUNTAC-AT-286)

(Ever used the VESA driver for GENOA 6400 .. it`s great !)

   Thomas

()---------------------------------------------------------------------------()
||////     /   __/         __/ /|   Software   ||      Thomas Thissen        ||
||/// __  __/       ____/     //| Installation ||  University of Paderborn   ||
||//     /     /   /       / ///|--------------------------------------------||
||/   __/   __/ ______/ __/ ////|        email: tici@uni-paderborn.de        ||
()---------------------------------------------------------------------------()

DWS37@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (Klaus Wilting) (01/21/91)

I'm using the VESA-model 6400-A.
I had no problems at all, it works fine & flickerfree,
enjoy these cards !

dtl@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Dean Lindsay) (01/22/91)

Klaus Wilting writes

>I'm using the VESA-model 6400-A.
>I had no problems at all, it works fine & flickerfree,
>enjoy these cards !
>----------

I also have a Genoa 6400 with a 3.02 (I think, its at home,
I'm at work) BIOS.  I have used various graphics display
programs with it.  Each of these programs need to know
that they are talking to a Genoa 6400 card, but the ones
that support it work fine.  I have used VPIC, GWS, VUIMAGE
at least on a trial basis.  Some of these I ran in BIOS
mode and loaded the RAMBIOS.

What is this VESA-model 6400-A?  Is it a driver?  I picked
up a file VESA.EXE from the Genoa BBS but there was no
documentation telling me what VESA is so I don't know how
to use it.  Please explain!

Dean Lindsay