[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Designations on chips

jaapv@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.062424.11291@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>I think the DRAM that you need are 44256's, which you can buy from
[...]
This originally was about upgrading a VGA card. As I've done the
same thing with different chips, I'm beginning to wonder what the
codes on the things mean. Like, what's the difference between a
41256 and a 44256? Furthermore, there seems to be a speed
designation included, like when you see the number on the chip end
with -10. Would anyone please enlighten this poor beginner at how
to read these type-numbers? Thanks.
--
Regards, Jaap.

Jaap Verhage, Academic Computer Centre, State University at Utrecht, Holland.
jaapv@cc.ruu.nl      +<-*|*->+      I claim *every*thing and speak for myself

dlg6627@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Darmawan Ludirdja) (01/11/91)

jaapv@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jaap Verhage) writes:

>In article <1991Jan8.062424.11291@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>>I think the DRAM that you need are 44256's, which you can buy from
>[...]
>This originally was about upgrading a VGA card. As I've done the
>same thing with different chips, I'm beginning to wonder what the
>codes on the things mean. Like, what's the difference between a
>41256 and a 44256? Furthermore, there seems to be a speed
  ^           ^
41256 => in order to get  256K bytes, you need 9 pieces (parity included)
44256 => in order to get  256K bytes, you need 2 pieces (parity not included)

>designation included, like when you see the number on the chip end
>with -10. Would anyone please enlighten this poor beginner at how
      ^^^

100 nanoseconds.

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (01/11/91)

In article <1046@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> jaapv@accucx.UUCP (Jaap Verhage) writes:
>In article <1991Jan8.062424.11291@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>>I think the DRAM that you need are 44256's, which you can buy from
>[...]
>This originally was about upgrading a VGA card. As I've done the
>same thing with different chips, I'm beginning to wonder what the
>codes on the things mean. Like, what's the difference between a
>41256 and a 44256? Furthermore, there seems to be a speed
>designation included, like when you see the number on the chip end
>with -10. Would anyone please enlighten this poor beginner at how

41256 is a dram with 256k x 1 bit
44256 is a dram with 256k x 4 bits
The -10 means that the accesstime is 100 nanoseconds.

BUT,  the numbers on the chips is up to the manufacture so to be
completely sure about the meaning you have to look in the datasheet.

--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/13/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware, jaapv@accucx.UUCP (Jaap Verhage) typed:
$This originally was about upgrading a VGA card. As I've done the
$same thing with different chips, I'm beginning to wonder what the
$codes on the things mean. Like, what's the difference between a
$41256 and a 44256? Furthermore, there seems to be a speed

   The 41256 is one bit wide; the 44256 is four bits wide.  There isn't one
purely logical scheme for numbering chips, and some manufacturers have
a tendency to create their own favourite numbers for chips.

$designation included, like when you see the number on the chip end
$with -10. Would anyone please enlighten this poor beginner at how

   That's a 100 ns chip; it denotes the access time.  -12 would indicate
a 120 ns chip, etc.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

tbrown@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Thomas Brown [901015]) (01/22/91)

Jaap-

   41256 - 256K x 1 bit  - "standard" dynamic RAM used in IBM, others.
                           typically set up with 9 chips in each bank
                           (8 data + 1 parity)
   41464 - 64K x 4 bits  - used in VGA cards as video memory (1 bank
                           of 8 chips is an additional 256K of video RAM)
   44256 - 2456 x 4 bits - used in newer systems, EMS cards, etc.
                           typically set up with two of these chips plus
                           1 1-megabit chip (1 meg x 1) per bank.

   4xxxx-ss - 'ss' is speed rating where:
     20 = 200 ns, 15 = 150ns, 10 = 100ns, 8 = 80ns, 7=70ns, etc.

   Some devices have prefixes as well, but they usually indicate the
manufacturer of the device (i.e. MC = Motorola, KM = Samsung, etc.)

Regards,
Tom
--=--
Thomas Brown, KA2UGQ          BITNET: twb0@lehigh.bitnet
Lehigh University UC Box 855    ARPA: tbrown@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU
Bethlehem, PA  18015            UUCP: ..!uunet!twb0@lehigh.bitnet
(215) 758-0093                 AX.25: ka2ugq@ka2ugq.nj.usa.na

'You can't have everything...where would you put it?' -S.W.