[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386-33 Motherboard

jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) (01/19/91)

I am in the process of selecting a 386-33 clone.  I have the following
questions about the motherboard design of various venders:

1)  What's better, boards that use chip sets (eg. C&T) or discrete logic?

2)  If I buy a 386-33 with a motherboard that has 16 MB (maximum) on board
    but does NOT have a 32-bit slot for additional memory upgrade, am I
    limiting my upgrade path too much?  Is there any real need for more
    than 16 MB for a 80386-based machine, ever?

Thanks.

 John Y. Ching (jching@watnow.waterloo.edu)      | "Thought without Learning is
 Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Group |  Useless;  Learning without
 Department of Systems Design Engineering        |  Thought is Dangerous."

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan18.193434.12891@watserv1.waterloo.edu> jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) writes:
>I am in the process of selecting a 386-33 clone.  I have the following
>questions about the motherboard design of various venders:
>2)  If I buy a 386-33 with a motherboard that has 16 MB (maximum) on board
>    but does NOT have a 32-bit slot for additional memory upgrade, am I
>    limiting my upgrade path too much?  Is there any real need for more
>    than 16 MB for a 80386-based machine, ever?

Not if all you are going to do is run DOS... certainly if you plan on
running UNIX or OS/2, you will be able to use more than 16 megs... the more
the merrier...

With 4 Meg chips available now and 64M chips "right around the corner", I
think we are about to enter a new age in memory availabilty...

Wow.. and to think that my good ol' Trash-80 came with 4 (count 'em) K and
was upgradable to (oooooohh!) 48K :-)

Of course with DOS, 16 Megs becomes 640K conventional memory and a 15.5M
ramdisk :-))))

scott
--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                      ..!uunet!scocan!skypod!scott

wendy@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Wendy Wilhelm) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan18.193434.12891@watserv1.waterloo.edu> jching@watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) writes:
>2)  If I buy a 386-33 with a motherboard that has 16 MB (maximum) on board
>    but does NOT have a 32-bit slot for additional memory upgrade, am I
>    limiting my upgrade path too much?  Is there any real need for more
>    than 16 MB for a 80386-based machine, ever?

	We have two 80386-based machines with 24 MB (Soon to be 40) and
	12 MB (Soon to be 24) that we use all the time... No, you don't
	really need this much memory unless you're running Unix with/or
	lots of emacs ;(... However, we use these little boxes as
	Xterminal Servers and they need all the memory we can give 'em.

								Wendy

|Wendy Wilhelm                                                               |
|Portland State University                                                   |
|Portland Center for Advanced Technology                                     |
|INTERNET: wendy%{cs,ee}.pdx.edu                                             |
|UUCP:{ucbvax,uunet,gatech}!tektronix!pdxgate!{ee,cs}.pdx.edu!wendy          |
| DeVries's Dilemma:						             |
|	If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you don't             |
|		want hits the paper.				             |