[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Monochrome monitor with CGA card

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (01/18/91)

I have an Epson Equity LT laptop that has a CGA screen.  It has
a CRT port in the back that I would like to hook up a monochrome
monitor to.  Is there any way to do it?  I originally didn't
think so, but a friend has a desktop computer (Hyundai) with a
CGA card and he has an amber monitor hooked up to it that works
fine.  Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know what it takes to upgrade an Epson Equity LT
with two floppy drive to a hard drive system?  Is the controller
already built in, or do you have to purchase that as well?  Does
anyone produce a hard drive that can be used besides Epson?

		Thanks.

Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

doron@oboe.cs.cornell.edu (Leor Doron) (01/23/91)

In article <1546@digi.lonestar.org> mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) writes:
>I have an Epson Equity LT laptop that has a CGA screen.  It has
>a CRT port in the back that I would like to hook up a monochrome
>monitor to.  Is there any way to do it?  I originally didn't
>think so, but a friend has a desktop computer (Hyundai) with a
>CGA card and he has an amber monitor hooked up to it that works
>fine.  Any ideas?

Some monochrome monitors are "dual-mode", that is, they support the scanning
frequencies of both the MDA/HGC and CGA adapters.  These don't cost much more
than regular monochrome monitors -- not a bad deal.  Offhand, I can think
of the Samsung MZ-4571 (I *think* that's the model number) as being one I've
heard good things about, and costing ~$100.

--Lee

= ".Sig!  .Sig a .sog!  .Sig it loud; .sig it .strog!"                        =
========= -- Karen Carpenter with a head cold =================================