[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Windows 3, Disk cache

laurits@itk.unit.no (Ottar L. Osen) (01/24/91)

If i use Windows 3's disk cache in my config.sys it locks up.

I have a Seagate ST251R disk, and an Western Digital controller.

It seems to me that my controller does som sector translaton etc.

I use Disk Managers driver.

Norton 6.0 cache works, but is not compatible with Windows.

Does anyone out there know a solution that gives me caching under

windows?

Thanks in advance

cyang%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Cheng Yang) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.173004.26753@ugle.unit.no> laurits@itk.unit.no (Ottar L. Osen) writes:
>If i use Windows 3's disk cache in my config.sys it locks up.
>
>I have a Seagate ST251R disk, and an Western Digital controller.
>
>It seems to me that my controller does som sector translaton etc.
>
>I use Disk Managers driver.
>
>Norton 6.0 cache works, but is not compatible with Windows.
>
>Does anyone out there know a solution that gives me caching under
>
>windows?
>

>Thanks in advance

I also have problem with the SMARTDRV.SYS which comes with Windows 3.0
When I installed Windows' SMARTDRV.SYS, the transfer rate is SIGNIFICANTLY
LOWER than when I used DOS 4.0's SMARTDRV.SYS.  Maybe there IS a bug in
Windows' SMARTDRV.SYS. Does anybody here know why? I suggest you use the
one which is provided by DOS.  It works fine with Windows.

Good luck.

*	Ho capito, signor,si!........                                       *
*Cheng Yang				Home Address:                       *
*Department of Computer Science		808 East, 300 South, #3             *
*University of Utah			Salt Lake City, UT 84102            *
*E-Mail Address:cyang@peruvian.utah.edu	Tel: 801-322-1918                   *