[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sony CPD-1304 MultiScan HG Monitor

scalawag@blake.u.washington.edu (Keith Frederick) (01/13/91)

 I just wanted to thank everyone who responded so quickly to my post regarding
the Sony 1304 monitor.  In summary, the Sony 1304 DOES support all the modes
from hercules to SVGA but just that you cannot use older digital boards (hope
I got that right). Basically, with the Sony monitor one needs a VGA card that
is analog and to take full advantage of the monitor one that supports the
1kx768 mode, non-interlaced.

Also, judging by the comments on the monitor itself, I think going with the
Sony is an excellent decision...nothing but good comments from people who left
email or in the magazines....with the exception, of course, of pictures of
boats going under bridges [but that was previously explained here anyway].

|                                    |                                     |
| Keith R. Frederick                 | Happiness is our moral purpose.     |
| scalawag@blake.u.washington.edu    | If you see Dr. Fu Manchu, kill him! |
| CIS: 73760,3521                    |.....................................|
| (206)285-1576 - voice              | ::: 4th year Senior / Economics ::: |
|____________________________________|_____________________________________|

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/15/91)

In article <14248@milton.u.washington.edu> scalawag@blake.u.washington.edu (Keith Frederick) writes:

| I've almost decided to purchase a Sony 1304 Monitor but read the following
|in PC Sources: "The Seiko and Sony monitors, as well as the Relisys RE-1520
|support 640-by-480 VGA through 1,024-by-768 8514/A (non-interlaced and
|interlaced) resolution.  These monitors do not, however, support lower
|resolution digital standards."  This is from the Dec. 1990 PC Sources.

It's true. The Sony 1304 has a very high lower frequency limit for a
"multi-sync" monitor (28 KHz). This is much too high for an EGA board,
which requires around 22 KHz.

Note the key word here in PC Sources' quote: DIGITAL. VGA boards are
ANALOG. Anything digital is CGA, monochrome, or EGA. This does not
include VGA boards emulating lower resolution.

The PC Source guys are 100% correct but perhaps a little subtle for
people not intimate with the nitty gritty details of PC displays.

|However, a sales person at the local computer store said the Sony does
|support EGA and up.  Who is right?  Does PC Sources mean only digitial boards

That's what you get for asking a sales type.

|or what?  It would be a shame not to be able to play those neato 320x200x256
|VGA games (and basically, any game!!!).

You can display any standard VGA resolution on the 1304 because all standard VGA
resolutions use the same horizontal frequency: 31 KHz. They achieve the
lower resolutions by various means, including increasing the vertical
refresh (as high as 70 Hz) and "double-scanning" the vertical lines.
This includes the VGA's EGA emulation mode.

Thus we can see that with the lower price and versatility of VGA cards no
one in their right mind would buy anything else and therefore the Sony
1304, being fully compatible with all VGA modes, is a product that should
satisfy anyone who needs a 14 inch VGA monitor.

(note: I don't even own a 1304, but I looked at them.)

--
militia: 1.a. A citizen army, as distinct from a body of professional soldiers.
           b. The armed citzenry, as distinct from the regular army.

tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) (01/19/91)

Well, I built a system a month ago, and decided to use the Sony 1304 Multiscan
HG.  But... (I've got a basic mistrust of doing business by mail) I wanted
to buy locally.

Catch 1:  the only dealer in the area (which I could find) which carries
this monitor, not to mention the cost, was out of stock, and didn't
expect any new shipments until February.

Catch 2: At least three of those were already sold.  They had the cash
already.  Tough luck if you don't want to pay for a vaporous monitor.

My solution:  Buyfrom the same dealer at lower cost - the Seiko CM1450.
The mags rate the two monitors nearly identically; the principal difference
being that the Seiko doesn't have as many sync'ing options.  But hey,
*I* sure don't expect to want to share this monitor with a MAC! even if
I wanted a MAC, I'd still want to use this monitor with my 386 box.

And I am just pleased as punch with mine.  (Except for the heretofore
unknown-to-me congenital problem with Trinitron tubes;  there is a shadow
on the screen from a wire that applies tension to the mask.  It is about
a pixel high, from side to side, descending slightly from left to right,
starting about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.  Boo hiss(sssss).)

So, the moral of the story is: don't rule out the Seiko 1450 if you don't
need the additional sync'ing capabilities because it will be easier to
find one.  And it will be cheaper.  And it will work _just_as_well_.

jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) (01/23/91)

In article <314@stiatl.UUCP> tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:
>And I am just pleased as punch with mine. [Seiko CM1450]
>(Except for the heretofore
>unknown-to-me congenital problem with Trinitron tubes;  there is a shadow
>on the screen from a wire that applies tension to the mask.  It is about
>a pixel high, from side to side, descending slightly from left to right,
>starting about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.  Boo hiss(sssss).)

So THAT'S what's going on. I have a Seiko CM1430 and I first noticed this
line about ten months after I bought it... I was afraid the monitor was
going bad. If you don't know it's there, it can be very difficult to
notice.

One other note: the Seiko CM1430 radiates magnetic fields all over the
place, causing monitors near it to jitter. Do newer models still have this
problem?

--
James W. Birdsall   WORK: jwbirdsa@amc.com   {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!jwbirdsa
HOME: {uunet,uw-coco}!amc-gw!picarefy!jwbirdsa OTHER: 71261.1731@compuserve.com

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (01/24/91)

In article <5071@amc-gw.amc.com> jwbirdsa@europa.amc.com (James Birdsall) writes:
>In article <314@stiatl.UUCP> tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:
>>And I am just pleased as punch with mine. [Seiko CM1450]
>>(Except for the heretofore
>>unknown-to-me congenital problem with Trinitron tubes;  there is a shadow
>>on the screen from a wire that applies tension to the mask.  It is about
>>a pixel high, from side to side, descending slightly from left to right,
>>starting about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.  Boo hiss(sssss).)
>
>So THAT'S what's going on. I have a Seiko CM1430 and I first noticed this
>line about ten months after I bought it... I was afraid the monitor was
>going bad. If you don't know it's there, it can be very difficult to
>notice.

That line is also on both of our MacII Apple Monitors which use Trinitrons.

(We thought it was a manufacturing problem...)

tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) (01/25/91)

jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) writes:

>In article <314@stiatl.UUCP> tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:
 <My discussion of Trinitron shadow deleted.>

>So THAT'S what's going on. I have a Seiko CM1430 and I first noticed this
>line about ten months after I bought it... I was afraid the monitor was
>going bad. If you don't know it's there, it can be very difficult to
>notice.

>One other note: the Seiko CM1430 radiates magnetic fields all over the
>place, causing monitors near it to jitter. Do newer models still have this
>problem?

Well, I have an old Sanyo monochrome monitor in use next to my Seiko CM1450,
and have no jitter problem.  I separate the screens by at least six inches,
to avoid the predictable problem of distortion caused by magnetic interference.

BTW, the shadow bug is not unique to Seiko/Trinitron toobs.  I've seen it on
Macinabox II displays, and Sony's own Multiscan HG.  It really pisses my
wife off, and I'm pretty happy about it too.