[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DOS sys commands

djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) (01/23/91)

Has anyone experienced a problem changing dos versions on a hard disk?  I
recently tried to put 4.01 on a system that previously had 3.1.  The sys
command returned a "no room for system files" error.  The disk was reformatted
with 4.01 and still couldnt accept system files?  Anyone know what's going on
here? thanks in advance
Doug Kelly
djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.142128.8943@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug
Kelly) says:

>recently tried to put 4.01 on a system that previously had 3.1.  The sys
>command returned a "no room for system files" error.  The disk was reformatted
>with 4.01 and still couldnt accept system files?  Anyone know what's going on
>here? thanks in advance

The system files must be in contiguous sectors.  That is not possible when you
upgrade to a later and larger version.  The proper approach is to format with
the new version using the /S switch that automatically puts the system files
on your disk as it is formatted:
                                FORMAT C: /S

djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) (01/24/91)

In article <91023.141335PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu> David L. Phillips <PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.142128.8943@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug
>Kelly) says:
>>
>>recently tried to put 4.01 on a system that previously had 3.1.  The sys
>>command returned a "no room for system files" error.  The disk was reformatted
>>with 4.01 and still couldnt accept system files?  Anyone know what's going on
>>here? thanks in advance
>>
>The system files must be in contiguous sectors.  That is not possible when you
>upgrade to a later and larger version.  The proper approach is to format with
>the new version using the /S switch that automatically puts the system files
>on your disk as it is formatted:
>                                FORMAT C: /S

I did, and at the end of the format i got the message "no room for system files"
So, then i used the 4.01 Fdisk command, deleted the dos partition, and installed
a new one, made it active, then reformatted with the /s option. same result. Sys
c: also gave the no room for system files error.  Maybe this is a hardware prob.
 thanks
Doug

LEVYJI@PURCCVM.BITNET (01/24/91)

Hmmm..ARe you using the select command?
    Try typing...Select c:\dos 001 us
This might help.  Why upgrade to 4.01.  4.01 is worthless.  Try Dos 3.3.  If
you must use 4.01, do you have enough ram to store the system?  That could be
your problem.  Hope this helps!

Jeff
levyji@vm.cc.purdue.edu

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan23.205857.5161@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> djk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Doug Kelly) writes:
>>Kelly) says:
>
>recently tried to put 4.01 on a system that previously had 3.1.  The sys
>command returned a "no room for system files" error.  The disk was reformatted
>with 4.01 and still couldnt accept system files?  Anyone know what's going on
>here? thanks in advance
>
>The system files must be in contiguous sectors.  That is not possible when you
>upgrade to a later and larger version.  The proper approach is to format with
>the new version using the /S switch that automatically puts the system files
>on your disk as it is formatted:
>                                FORMAT C: /S

Actually, with dos 4.01 this is not true.  The sys command will work on any
drive that has an old system on it.  I installed it quite a few times this
weekend on disks that had 3.3 on them, and lots of other software as well.
Worked every time.  Could there be differences in releases.  I am using IBM
dos.  Is this different than MS?

Vince

laurits@itk.unit.no (Ottar L. Osen) (01/26/91)

I think Norton Utileties can do this for you.

I know I have seen software that helps you install a bigger/newer
version of dos without performing a format to get hold of
continous sectors.

Anyway split you disk and make a small C disk with Dos. Then you
can reformat without losing any programs!

So long and thanks for all the fish. (D.Adams)