[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Modem isn't working

JAN104@psuvm.psu.edu (01/25/91)

I'm having a problem with my US Robotics Dual Standard modem. I am presently
using Qmodem 4.2E on a Tandy 1000TL. I've used the Quick Config to configure
the modem. The problem is when I start Qmodem, I get a message saying "Waiting
for CTS, press a key to continue without CTS support." I press a key and go
into terminal mode. What ever I type is sent to the modem, but not to the
screen. I can give the modem any type of command, and it accepts it, but I
get no response on the screen. I can connect to a bbs, but either Qmodem or
the modem don't acknowledge it.

At first I thought it was the cable, but after purchasing a new one, the same
problem occurs.

Can anyone help me out here?? Please E-MAIL me at JAN104@psuvm.psu.edu with
any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (01/26/91)

JAN104@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> I'm having a problem with my US Robotics Dual Standard modem. I am presently
> using Qmodem 4.2E on a Tandy 1000TL. I've used the Quick Config to configure
> the modem. The problem is when I start Qmodem, I get a message saying "Waitin
> for CTS, press a key to continue without CTS support." I press a key and go
> into terminal mode. What ever I type is sent to the modem, but not to the
> screen. I can give the modem any type of command, and it accepts it, but I
> get no response on the screen. I can connect to a bbs, but either Qmodem or
> the modem don't acknowledge it.
>
> At first I thought it was the cable, but after purchasing a new one, the same
> problem occurs.
>
> Can anyone help me out here?? Please E-MAIL me at JAN104@psuvm.psu.edu with
> any comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance!

  You don't appear to have command echo turned on.  Check QModem's setup
string to make sure it includes "E0".  You can try it manually by
entering ATE0.
  If the DS is like the old HST I have, care should be taken not to
mix case in the string .. it should be all upper or all lower .. not a
mixture.

   Dave McCrady                 |  davem@ersys.uucp
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  decrwl!alberta!aunro!ersys!davem