[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ** Help Needed on Modem Selection **

chau@caen.engin.umich.edu (Hin Fai Chau) (01/22/91)

I have seen an ad in the January issue of Computer Shopper about the V.42bis
external modem by Zoom for a price of $189.  It claims that it can achieve
9600 bd compressed through-put with a 2400 bd data-pump; fully V.42 COMPLIANT,
100% Hayes and MNP-5 compatible.

My questions are:
(1) How does it compare to the real 9600 baud modems in terms of performance
    and usage?
(2) Does it require a special kind of software to operate?
(2) What do V.42, V.42bis, Hayes and MNP-5 mean?
(3) I have seen that some modems can be addressable with COM1, COM2, COM3 and
    COM4.  What are they?
(4) What is the limit of ordinary phone lines?  Can it handle 9600 baud data
    transmission?
(5) I assume some of you know X.  I have a 386/33 IBM PC-compatible system at
    home.  What do you think the minimum baud rate necessary of a modem if I
    want to run jobs "remotely" on DECs say, and display graphics "locally"
    and efficiently on my PC screen via X window?

Please use my email address in your response if possible.  Thanks.

-- H. Chau

cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve Cirian) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan21.164934.18031@engin.umich.edu>, chau@caen.engin.umich.edu (Hin Fai Chau) writes:
> My questions are:
> (1) How does it compare to the real 9600 baud modems in terms of performance
>     and usage?
> (2) Does it require a special kind of software to operate?
> (2) What do V.42, V.42bis, Hayes and MNP-5 mean?
> (3) I have seen that some modems can be addressable with COM1, COM2, COM3 and
>     COM4.  What are they?
> (4) What is the limit of ordinary phone lines?  Can it handle 9600 baud data
>     transmission?
> (5) I assume some of you know X.  I have a 386/33 IBM PC-compatible system at
>     home.  What do you think the minimum baud rate necessary of a modem if I
>     want to run jobs "remotely" on DECs say, and display graphics "locally"
>     and efficiently on my PC screen via X window?

2)    It shouldn't, but the modem on the other end must support the same
      compression scheme, or you will not see any increase in speed over 2400
      bps.

2.5)  Someone posted the following to comp.dcom.modems, but I unfortunately
      lost his name.

      =============================<CUT HERE>===============================

PEP        Before even 2400 bps dialup modems received public acceptance, a
        company called Telebit Technologies was developing a 9600 bps modem
        based on a multicarrier modulation scheme. The Telebit TrailBlazer
        sends data at speeds from 0 to 8 baud on each of 511 carriers (spaced
        every 7.8 Hz from DC to 4 kHz) using Quadrature Amplitude Modulation
        (QAM).

           PEP stands for the Packetized Ensemble Protocol, which the
        TrailBlazer uses to correct errors, reassemble the data, and adjust
        the modems' operating parameters to achieve optimum performance. This
        was called Dynamically Adaptive Multicarrier QAM, or DAMQAM. Telebit
        later added MNP support for non-DAMQAM connections and PEP2 (a
        protocol with data compression) to what became known as the
        TrailBlazer Plus.

MNP        Microcom Networking Protocol, or MNP as it is called, consists of
        several layers of software protocols, often implemented within the
        modem itself, which detect and correct errors and provide improved
        throughput.

        MNP5 implements a form of dynamic data compression. It detects
        repeated patterns in the data stream and reduces redundancy in the
        transmissions. When transitting text files, this can significantly
        increase throughput but, when used on files which have already been
        compressed using run-length, Huffman, or Lempel-Ziv techniques, the
        overhead may actually reduce the effective data throughput. It is
        wiesest to disable MNP service class 5 when it is known that the
        majority of information to be transmitted is in compressed form. MNP5
        may be used with any of MNP1 through MNP3, with or without MNP4.

V.32    V.32 specified that echo cancellation be used to permit
        simultaneous communication in both directions. Echo cancellation with
        the necessary precision is complex, and the electronics to do it
        proportionately expensive. Recently, the mass production of V.32
        chipsets has lowered the cost of V.32 modems significantly.

HST        Because V.32 was, at the time of its introduction, very expensive
        to implement, USRobotics derived from V.32 an asymmetrical modulation
        technique which provided a 9600 bps 'forward channel' and a 300 bps
        'back channel'. This allowed the HST to send keystrokes, ACK packets,
        etc. back to the host without requiring that the high-speed carrier
        direction be reversed - but was incompatible with any other 9600 bps
        modulation technique. The HST used a variation of MNP for its error
        correction.

V-9600     At the same time, Hayes was also developing a less expensive V.32
        derivative. In stead of accepting a reduced speed backchannel, Hayes
        concentrated on refining the ping-pong technique used to simulate full
        duplex using a single carrier. The resulting product, the V-Series
        Smartmodem 9600, was also incompatible with other 9600 bps modulation
        techniques.

HST 14.4   Faced with significant competition from inexpensive V.29 modems
        (some of which used powerful data compression techniques to achieve
        outstanding throughput), USRobotics increased their physical bit rate
        from 9600 to 14400 bps. The resulting 50% boost in throughput gave
        them a performance edge over most other manufacturers. This model of
        HST is often called the "HST fourteen-four".

T2500      It was not long before owners of Telebit, USRobotics, and Hayes
HST DS  modems became concerned that their considerable investment in high
Ultra   speed modems did not always permit them to communicate at 9600 bps
        with others who had also spent a lot on high speed modems. This
        pressure, combined with the lowering cost of V.32 chipsets, led each
        manufacturer to introduce a 'dual standard' model, which was capable
        of communicating both with the manufacturer's own modems and with
        others which supported V.32. These were the Telebit T2500, The
        USRobotics Courier HST Dual Standard, and the Hayes V-Series Ultra
        Smartmodem 9600.

V.42       In the mean time, the CCITT had been meeting to develop a standard
        for error correction between dialup modems. The result, recommendation
        V.42, included two protocols: LAP-M (the Link Access Protcol for
        Modems, derived from SDLC) and MNP. The
        latter, up to service class 4, was included as 'Annex A' to maintain
        compatibility with the large pool of existing MNP-equipped modems.

V.42bis    Aware also that MNP5 and other data compression techniques had
        become popular, the CCITT released recommendation V.42bis, which
        specified a data compression technique which would provide dramatic
        performance improvements where possible, but which would not become a
        burden when the information being sent was already well compressed.

V.32bis    Currently in the discussion phase, V.32bis may be released by
        February of 1991. It will describe a full-duplex carrier technique
        that will provide 14400 bps physical bit rate, effectively 'catching
        up' to the HST 14.4. Some manufacturers have already begun advertising
        V.32bis modems, but there is no gusrantee that they will be compatible
        with the final specification.

      =============================<CUT HERE>===============================

3)  COM1 and COM3 usually use the same interupt, as do COM2 and COM4.  Usually
    you will only have one of COM1, COM2 and COM3, COM4, unless you buy a
    multiport expansion board (I do not know how they work in terms of defining
    ports).  On my serial/parallel board determines which RS-232 ports are used
    via jumper settings.  You then just tell your comm software which port your
    modem is connected to.

4)  We have used Telebit modems, which are capable of 19.2Kbps, as do quite a
    few people in the Unix community, for a long time.  I have heard of
    strategies to support even higher rates, on regular phone lines.

5)  The more speed the better.  You will need to run SLIP to use X with your
    PC acting as an X client.  I am unsure of the details, but SLIP or PPP is
    available for the PC (I am not sure if this was for PCs running UNIX or
    DOS, but I believe DOS was also supported).  You can ftp these, but I do
    not have an address.

NOTE:  Anything above 1200 baud is actually bps (bits per second).  (i.e.-
       2400bps).  This is not a flame, just want to have everyone talking the
       same language.

--
Steve Cirian		~  local girl:  What does BRMC stand for?
750 Tower Drive		~  Johnny:      Black Rebels Motorcycle Club