[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Disk Parking

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (01/28/91)

I just purchased a 386-33 with a 133MB hard drive and was debating whether I
should leave it on all the time./  From what I gather, the shock to the
computer when it is turned on is relatively harsh compared to being on
all the time.  Also, I don't want the hard drive spinning all of the time
when it isn't in use....is their a way to have the hard drive shut down
when no activity has been present for a while?

Also, if I park the heads on the drives, to the platters quit moving or have
the heads just been realigned to a safer place on the disk?  If they quit
moving that could solve a lot of my problems.  I could just park the heads
and turn off the monitor when I wasn't going to be using the computer for
a while.

Brian

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) (01/29/91)

In article <26544@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>I just purchased a 386-33 with a 133MB hard drive and was debating whether I
>should leave it on all the time.

That depends on how much you will be using it.  If it will be used daily,
you might as well leave it on 24Hours, but if it is infrequenct, off/on
might be just as good.  I'd recommend getting an uninterruptable power
source, though, since these machines are sensitive to power fluctuations.

I've been leaving my computer of 24Hrs for many years (except for extended
vacations when I'm out of the office for a week or so) with no Hard-drive
problems whatsoever (thank God!)

--- Dave (cd5340@mars.njit.edu)

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (01/29/91)

In article <26544@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>I just purchased a 386-33 with a 133MB hard drive and was debating whether I
>should leave it on all the time./  From what I gather, the shock to the
>computer when it is turned on is relatively harsh compared to being on
>all the time.  Also, I don't want the hard drive spinning all of the time
>when it isn't in use....is their a way to have the hard drive shut down
>when no activity has been present for a while?

I *think* there is a software application which can do this--but
no harm is done to the hard drive when it's left spinning.  In fact, there
is more wear and tear on the drive to power it down then power it
back up again.

>Also, if I park the heads on the drives, to the platters quit moving or have
>the heads just been realigned to a safer place on the disk?

The platters keep moving and the heads are positioned in a safe place.

>If they quit moving that could solve a lot of my problems.  I could
>just park the heads and turn off the monitor when I wasn't going to
>be using the computer for a while.

In my opinion it would be better to keep the monitor on and either
have a screen blanking program in effect or just turn the brightness
all the way down.  This will keep the phosphor coating from getting
"burnt."

Your questions have generally to do with whether it is best to
keep the power on in a computer or to shut the power off during
times it is not in use.  For a full discussion of this as it
relates to specific components and to the system as a whole, look
in the Frequently Asked Questions posting in this newsgroup.  To
find it on a Unix system, enter /Frequent/r  (this will search
backward for articles with "Frequent" in their subject heading
and will work for those that have been already marked as read).
The Frequently Asked Questions posting will tell you where to go
to get the file which discusses this issue at length.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.180400.27887@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:
>In article <26544@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>... I don't want the hard drive spinning all of the time
>>when it isn't in use....is their a way to have the hard drive shut down
>>when no activity has been present for a while?
>
>I *think* there is a software application which can do this...

This would be pretty hard to do in software, since in most computers the
disk axis power goes straight to the motor.  I frankly doubt that such
software exists.  Probably Mr. Smith is thinking of something like TIMEPARK,
which parks the heads after some minutes of inactivity.  This is useful,
but it doesn't turn off the "spinning".

>--but no harm is done to the hard drive when it's left spinning.
>In fact, there
>is more wear and tear on the drive to power it down then power it
>back up again.

Quite true from all I've read in this newsgroup over the years.  This
is definitely a FAQ; we have the debate at least once a year.
The consensus always comes out: let it spin if you'll be using it
again within 24 hours (also good for the electronics and the board,
for thermal effects).  The break-even time suggested by the net-experts
is between one and a few days.

Dave
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt == dmt@pegasus.att.com	|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|