[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] more cards....

djserian@LAKEHEAD.BITNET (01/30/91)

  Right now i have a 5 slot XT  the problem I am facing now is that
all of my card slots are full.... and i desperatly need to expand....
does anyone know of a way to do this?

        I alo am looking for a case with a power supply that can hold
a single drive.... (I wnat to make one of my drives external)

thanx

Derek

-                                                                        -
-     Derek J.P.K. Serianni     Computer Advisor Lakehead University     -
-                                                                        -
-     Email - djserian@flash.lakeheadu.ca                                -
-                                                                        -

QUIT

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (01/30/91)

djserian@LAKEHEAD.BITNET writes:

>  Right now i have a 5 slot XT  the problem I am facing now is that
>all of my card slots are full.... and i desperatly need to expand....
>does anyone know of a way to do this?
>
>Derek

As I see it you have 3 options.

   1)  Consolidate your boards by getting a single controller to
       replace 2 cards wherever possible.  (One hd/fd controller
       instead of one hd contr. and another fd contr.)
       Also by using a serial mouse and an external modem in case
       you have bus versions of these.  Of course this route can
       become expensive depending on what you've got to change.

   2)  Buy some kind of bus extender--either a "T" or an external
       one.  This is probably much too expensive--especially for
       an XT (and besides, I don't even know if they make such
       things!  :)

   3)  Get a new motherboard.  $200 for a 7-8 slot 286, or $450-800
       for an 8 slot low-mid range 386.  The best choice IMHO.
       Drawback for this of course is that you'll need a new case
       too (unless you can find a mb that will fit your XT case).

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC