[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Remotely toggle power supply of PC

ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu (01/30/91)

What I am looking for is a way to call a phone number that will turn
the power of a computer off, then back on.  The reason I need this is
we have a computer set up for remote logins to our Novell Network -
we are running Close Up.  The computer likes to hang sometimes, rendering
it useless until someone can go and manually cycle the power.  This is
fine during the work day, but on nights and weekends it is unbearable.

If anyone knows of any device (hopefully inexpensive) that can do this, I
would greatly appreciate it.  Also, if you can think of a better newsgroup
to post to, please let me know, because I had no idea where to put this note.

                                         Thanks in advance,
                                                    andy

alg106 @ PSUVM
alg106@psuvm.psu.edu

v082mv5d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (William M Utter) (01/31/91)

In article <91030.010126ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu>, ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes...
>What I am looking for is a way to call a phone number that will turn
>the power of a computer off, then back on.  The reason I need this is
>we have a computer set up for remote logins to our Novell Network -
>we are running Close Up.  The computer likes to hang sometimes, rendering
>it useless until someone can go and manually cycle the power.  This is
>fine during the work day, but on nights and weekends it is unbearable.

	I had this type of problem on my BBS since a lot of the time I was
  out of town.  I got a TSR that I run and if the phone rings 20 times it
  reboots the computer.  I got it to run on my Lantastic server.  I can't
  say if you can find a similiar TSR for the type of operation system you
  are running.  I'm sure there's one out there for Unix maybe..

johnc@plxsun.uucp (John Ciccarelli) (01/31/91)

In article <91030.010126ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu> ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> What I am looking for is a way to call a phone number that will turn
> the power of a computer off, then back on.
>                                                    andy

BLACK BOX Corporation, (412) 746-5530, has a "Tone Operated Power Switch"
on p. 66 of their January 1991 catalog, P/N GS-SW1055A.

  "The BLACK BOX Tone Operated Power Switch (TOPS) is a dialup
   switch that lets you turn on/off or reset any device using
   a touchtone telephone.  Installed at the receiving
   end of the transmission line, TOPS will receive a call by
   verbally asking you to enter the (three-digit) access code.
   Once the proper DTMF code has been entered, TOPS will say
   whether power is on or off.  THe caller has the choice of
   entering either a "2" to turn power on, or a "1" to turn
   power off"

It's listed for $562.00 (stiff, but if it solves your problem...)

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Black Box nor have I ever ordered
stuff from them.  However, they have a catalog full of useful datacom
gadgets of which this is just one example, so I keep it around...

John Ciccarelli
Plexus Software, 5200 Great America Pkwy, Suite 200, Santa Clara CA 95054
email: ...sun!plx!johnc,  voice: 408-982-4842,  fax: 408-727-4864

johnc@plxsun.uucp (John Ciccarelli) (01/31/91)

In article <91030.010126ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu> ALG106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> What I am looking for is a way to call a phone number that will turn
> the power of a computer off, then back on.
>                                                    andy

BLACK BOX Corporation, (412) 746-5500, has a "Tone Operated Power Switch"