[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] QEMM 5.1 and Windows 3.0 incompatibility

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (01/31/91)

In article <1334@halley.UUCP> sts%halley.uucp@cs.utexas.edu writes:

[ I talked about a problem I had with Windows not loading ]

>This symptom occurs when the BUFFERS=<nn> /X command is in CONFIG.SYS.
>If you remove the "/X" parameter, you will prevent this behavior.

I never used the "/X" parameter before, so that wasn't my problem.  I found
out the actual problem was that my FILES were set too low.  I use LOADHI
pretty extensively, and one of the options I have loaded into high memory
is my FILES=30 command.  This puts 5 files in the DOS area and 25 files
in the high memory area.  The problem now is that Windows seems to need at
least 10 files in the DOS area in order to load, so I changed my FILES command
in my CONFIG.SYS file and now it works.

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (01/31/91)

In article <1334@halley.UUCP> sts%halley.uucp@cs.utexas.edu writes:

>[ I talked about a problem I had with Windows not loading ]
>
>>This symptom occurs when the BUFFERS=<nn> /X command is in CONFIG.SYS.
>>If you remove the "/X" parameter, you will prevent this behavior.

This is not necessarily true for all machines.  I have BUFFERS=30/X in my
config.sys, and it works fine...

Vince