[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Monitor burn

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (01/30/91)

Well, everyone seems to agree that if I will be using the system within
another 24 hours to leave it on.  Okay, what about the monitor?  I
don't want to burn an image into the screen, but how badly is it affected
by being constantly turned on or turned off?  I mean, we don't have
screen savers for TVs and we don't tell people to "leave your TV on
because it might get damaged by the constant power ups".

So can I turn it on and off as I please or should I get a screen saver
too?

Brian

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) (01/31/91)

Many people have requested my "I" program to brevent monitor-burn-in,
so I have posted it to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  It is called TIMEBOX.

--- Dave (cd5340@mars.njit.edu)

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (01/31/91)

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) writes:

>It is OK to turn the monitor on and off as much as you want, since there
>are no moving parts in one.  The primary concern in turning a CPU on and
>off is for the hard drive motors and bearings.
*----
No, the primary concern is voltage surges and spikes, though motor and bearing
wear certainly increases.  I'd turn the monitor off because high voltage
power supplies are more susceptible to damage and breakdown than low voltage
power supplies, and the potential for damage is probably greater if you
leave the monitor on all night.  Conversely, I'd leave the CPU on.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois