[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] null modem cable

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (01/19/91)

Anyone know how to make an null modem cable or should
I just go and buy one? What are the mechanics of
xfering between one pc and another pc? I plan to use
kermit at both ends to transfer my files from
my older 8088 to my newer 386 25mhz. I don't need
a modem (I'm sure) but what speed should I tell kermit
its running at on the 8088 to get optimal data xfer rates?

any other tips would be appreciated.
many thanks
joec@morgan.com

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (01/20/91)

In article <2582@s5.Morgan.COM>, joec@Morgan (Joe Collins) writes:
>Anyone know how to make an null modem cable ...

The pinout for a null modem cable is given in the "comm" file in
my comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc archives (ftp math.princeton.edu:pub/rjc/csip).
Here is the relevant excerpt:

[@(#)comm	1.3.  Last updated 3/23/90]

SERIAL PORTS AND THINGS

To hook up a null modem
      1  2  3  4  5  6 20  7
      |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
      1  3  2  5  4 20  6  7

    In some cases you may have to tie 6 & 8 on the same end together as well.

The "comm" file also contains assorted comments on how to get COM3 and COM4
set up, how to program the serial port, and what sort of UUCP packages
exist for the IBM PC.

kdq@demott.com (Kevin D. Quitt) (01/22/91)

In article <2582@s5.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>Anyone know how to make an null modem cable or should

    More than you even wanted to know about RS232 cables:

DB9	RS232
Pin	Signal
 1	CD	Carrier Detect
 2	RxD	Received Data
 3	TxD	Transmitted Data
 4	DTR	Data Terminal Ready
 5	SGnd	Signal Ground
 6	DSR	Data Set Ready
 7	RTS	Request to Send
 8	CTS	Clear To Send
 9	RI	Ring Indicator

DB25	RS232
Pin	Signal
 1	CGnd	Case Ground
 2	TxD
 3	RxD
 4	RTS
 5	CTS
 6	DSR
 7	SGnd
 8	CD
9-19	Not usually used
20	DTR
21-25	Not usually used

			  RS232C Null-Modem Cable

		DB9	DB25			DB25	DB9
		Pin	Pin			Pin	Pin
		 1	 8	 CD	DTR	20	 4
		 2	 3	 RxD	TxD	 2	 3
		 3	 2	 TxD	RxD	 3	 2
		 4	20	 DTR	DSR	 6	 6
		 4	20	 DTR	CD	 8	 1
		 5	 7	 SGnd	SGnd	 7	 5
		 6	 6	 DSR	DTR	20	 4
		 7	 4	 RTS	CTS	 5	 8
		 8	 5	 CTS	RTS	 4	 7
		 9		 RI

		1-6	6-8			6-8	1-6	<- Jumpers

Note:	If for some reason, you cannot jumper DSR to CD, connect
	DSR to the opposite DTR, and connect CD straight across
	(if possible).
--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (01/27/91)

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:

> In article <8Fy4V2w163w@cybrspc> roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) w
> >Here's a design that emulates a LapLink cable. I've used it with great
>
> It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don't
> it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --

[both designs deleted]

OK, I have filed your design along with mine. However, I'd suggest (if
you're going to be fanatic about it) building _both_ versions. In my
case, I used the null-modem to talk with a non-PC machine, and the
software on the other end didn't speak hardware handshaking. In this
instance, your design would fail to function, while mine would pass the
data.

> This is the correct wat to make a FULL-HANDSHAKING null modem; throw away
> ANYTHING that tells you to use the 'other', fake-out connection.

If faking the handshake really is "never a good move", why did LapLink
do it?
--
Roy M. Silvernail --  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu - OR-  cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu
Department of redundancy department, or "Take the long way home...":

etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) (01/27/91)

In article <3439@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>>Here's a design that emulates a LapLink cable. I've used it with great
>
>It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don't do
>it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --
>
>[1]------chassis GND--------[1]
>
>[2]-------------------------[3]
>
>[3]-------------------------[2]
>
>[4]-------------------------[5]
>
>[5]-------------------------[4]
>
>[6]------------------------[20]
>
>[7]-----signal GND----------[7]
>
>[8]-------------------------[8]
>
>[20]------------------------[6]
>

>This is the correct wat to make a FULL-HANDSHAKING null modem; throw away
>ANYTHING that tells you to use the 'other', fake-out connection.
>
>Walt K.

Uhmm.  Your solution seems good except for the pin 8 to pin 8 connection
,connecting an input to an input doesnt work so good.
I usually connect pin 8 -- 6 to 20 in the other end.

/Lars Nilsson

--
Lars Nilsson
Ericsson Telecom AB , Stockholm - Sweden

davet@cbnewsj.att.com (Dave Tutelman) (01/27/91)

>In article <8Fy4V2w163w@cybrspc> roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>>Here's a design that emulates a LapLink cable. I've used it with great
>>success for over a year.
	Roy's accompanying diagram shows some through leads, some transposed
	leads, and some loopback leads.

In article <3439@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don't do
>it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --
	... in which he shows basically a "straight-through" connection
	(with a few properly transposed leads).

While Walter has philosophical right on his side, his solution won't
work, either.  There is no way to "do it right" without a REAL modem,
(or an active, powered null modem with internal logic and option jumpers),
but there is a way to get as close as possible to philosophical "right"
by taking points from BOTH Roy and Walter.  Here's what I've seen used
successfully, and an explanation of why it works:

  [2]>--------\ TX  /--------<[2]
                \ /
                / \
  [3]<--------/ RX  \-------->[3]

  [4]-----|     RTS     |-----[4]
          |             |
  [5]-----|     CTS     |-----[5]

  [8]--\        CD         /--[8]
         \               /
  [7]-----------GND-----------[7]
            \         /
  [6]---------\ DSR /---------[6]
                \ /
                / \
  [20]--------/ DTR \--------[20]

RTS / CTS (Request To Send / Clear To Send)
	There is one possible way that this "fake-out" could be misleading.
	Suppose the other end is unplugged, and your application doesn't
	check DSR.  But Walter's solution also has a case that doesn't work.
	Suppose the applications think they're using half-duplex modems
	and are using these signals to turn the line around.  In that case,
	the protocol breaks down completely, while Roy's solves the problem.

DTR /DSR (Data Terminal Ready / Data Set [=modem] Ready)
	Looping back doesn't work, as Walter points out.  These leads say
	that the other "thingy" on the interface is ready, so do it as
	a through-transpose.

CD (Carrier Detect)
	Sorry Walter.  Any software that even looks at this lead will
	break on your solution.  It's an output lead from the local modem
	with no corresponding input lead (from this end OR the other end).
	There are two choices, of which I've shown one.  They REALLY ought
	to be a jumper option.

	1) Some software uses CD as an alternative to DSR, or an additional
	check that the modem is ready.  The configuration I've shown works
	for that case.

	2) Some software (using half-duplex protocols ONLY)
	uses CD as an additional check to CTS, to make sure the line is
	really turned around.  The ONLY way to accurately implement this
	in a null modem is an ACTIVE null modem that presents CD as the
	inverse of CTS.

	Note that the two choices are mutually exclusive.  The strap must
	be set to reflect the use the DTE (terminal or computer software)
	will make of the CD lead.  This is, in fact, consistent with Walter's
	"don't fake it" philosophy.  Any pair of modems will, in fact,
	either be operating Full-Duplex or Half-Duplex.  Those operations
	are different in the way they use the RS-232 leads, and a null
	modem would have to be "jumperable" to reflect that.

To be COMPLETELY accurate would require an active null modem, with logic
on the leads, and at least one jumper (HDX / FDX).  But the solution
I've shown above works in the vast majority of cases.  And the solutions
presented by both Roy and Walter work on virtually all PC-to-mini
and PC-to-PC connections of which I'm aware.

Hope this helps, rather than just fanning the flames.

Dave
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt == dmt@pegasus.att.com	|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan27.123115.23732@ericsson.se> etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:
>In article <3439@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>>It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don't do
>>it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --
>>[1]------chassis GND--------[1]
>>[2]-------------------------[3]
>>[3]-------------------------[2]
>>[4]-------------------------[5]
>>[5]-------------------------[4]
>>[6]------------------------[20]
>>[7]-----signal GND----------[7]
>>[8]-------------------------[8]
>>[20]------------------------[6]
>>This is the correct wat to make a FULL-HANDSHAKING null modem; throw away
>>ANYTHING that tells you to use the 'other', fake-out connection.
>
>Uhmm.  Your solution seems good except for the pin 8 to pin 8 connection
>,connecting an input to an input doesnt work so good.
>I usually connect pin 8 -- 6 to 20 in the other end.
>/Lars Nilsson

Ah, but I'm *not* connecting an input to an input.  A null modem is used when
'I've got an available DCE port and need to connect a DTE device' or vice
versa.  Examination of pin 8 [DCD] for a DCE device port (female on the
computer) shows it to be an output.  And for a DTE device port; it is an input.
DCE -- printer; DTE -- modem in my context.  I submit that my connection is
indeed correct and valid.

Walt K.

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (01/29/91)

Excerpts From Captions of netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware:
26-Jan-91  Re: null modem cable           Walter A. Koziarz@halibu (1215)
>It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don't
>do
>it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --
>
>[1]------chassis GND--------[1]
>
>[2]-------------------------[3]
>
>[3]-------------------------[2]
>
>[4]-------------------------[5]
>
>[5]-------------------------[4]
>
>[6]------------------------[20]
>
>[7]-----signal GND----------[7]
>
>[8]-------------------------[8]
>
>[20]------------------------[6]
>

>This is the correct wat to make a FULL-HANDSHAKING null modem; throw away
>ANYTHING that tells you to use the 'other', fake-out connection.

What about this cable then?  I've been told by many many product
manufacturers (including big cable companies ... ie. Black Box) that this is
a "FULL HANDSHAKING null-modem cable":

    1 ---- 1  (shielding ground)
    2 ---- 3
    3 ---- 2
    4 ---- 5
    5 ---- 4
    6 -+-- 20
    8 -+
    7 ---- 7  (signal ground)
    20 --+ 6
         + 8  (6 and 8 tied on each side to 20 on the other side)

Any suggestions?  What is pin-8 anyway?  Thanks.

     __________           Carnegie Mellon University             ___
    /          \                                            /   /    /_/ / /\/
   _/  /   /   / "Happy Computing ..."                   __/.  /__  / / / / /
  /     /     /     -- Computer Dr.
 /           /                          Internet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
/  -------  /   4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:   jc58@andrew
\__________/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:    ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58

27-Jan-91  Re: null modem cable           Roy M. Silvernail@cs.umn (1242)
>If faking the handshake really is "never a good move", why did LapLink
>do it?

Laplink does it in order to avoid hardware control problems when you have
serial ports on different speed computers talk to each other.  A 386 talking
to an 8088 will definitely have different handshaking signal timings.  That
is why data is checked via software with Laplink.

oeschi@netmbx.UUCP (Johann Deutinger) (01/30/91)

In article <3446@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>In article <1991Jan27.123115.23732@ericsson.se> etxsral@california.ericsson.se (Lars Nilsson) writes:
>>In article <3439@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz) writes:
>>>It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don't do
>>>it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --
>>>[1]------chassis GND--------[1]
>>>[2]-------------------------[3]
  [other connections deleted ...]
>>Uhmm.  Your solution seems good except for the pin 8 to pin 8 connection
>>,connecting an input to an input doesnt work so good.
>>I usually connect pin 8 -- 6 to 20 in the other end.
>>/Lars Nilsson
>
>Ah, but I'm *not* connecting an input to an input.  A null modem is used when
>'I've got an available DCE port and need to connect a DTE device' or vice
>versa.  Examination of pin 8 [DCD] for a DCE device port (female on the
>computer) shows it to be an output.  And for a DTE device port; it is an input.
>DCE -- printer; DTE -- modem in my context.  I submit that my connection is
>indeed correct and valid.

The nullmodem is a discussion item with quite a long history ;-)

If you are connecting two similar pieces of hardware (and this is the
typical reason to cross pins 2/3 and pins 4/5 and so on) you should
expect both sides to use pin 8 (DCD) for the same thing, typically as
input.

The main point in this discussion is the difference between nullmodem and
other serial connections. If you really want to create a nullmodem, that
means, a replacement of an analog connection including two modems, there
is only one solution:

2    -
3    -    2
4,5  -    8    (activates DCD from RTS at remote side - esp. for half duplex)
8    -    4,5  (vice versa)
6,20
	  6,20

This gives the response to RTS, which is CTS and to DTR, which is DSR.
This would be normally done by the modem. If synchronous procedures
should be used, additionally the clock lines (15,17,24) have to be
connected the right way (too much info for this context)

Looking at the history of this discussion the main application of such
cables is not to replace two modems but to connect a computer to a
peripheral device. For that application there is really no standard (some
use hardware handshake, some not; some use DTR/DSR for handshake, some
use RTS/CTS, some ignore DCD, some don't etc.)

So all of the presented solutions work with some special setup. This
misleads to thinking that it might be the only one!

Hans

--
oeschi@netmbx.UUCP     | Johann Deutinger
voice +49 30 396 50 21 | Ferrari electronic GmbH (.. no, we don't sell cars)

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (01/30/91)

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:

> Excerpts From Captions of netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware:
> 27-Jan-91  Re: null modem cable Roy M. Silvernail@cs.umn (1242)
> >If faking the handshake really is "never a good move", why did LapLink
> >do it?

> Laplink does it in order to avoid hardware control problems when you have
> serial ports on different speed computers talk to each other.  A 386 talking
> to an 8088 will definitely have different handshaking signal timings.  That
> is why data is checked via software with Laplink.

Err, what has this to do with hardware timings?  Hardware signals are
controlled by software and are not intrinsic to the hardware itself.

jm9t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Josh Brian Mastronarde) (01/30/91)

Excerpts From Captions of netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware:
28-Jan-91  Re: null modem cable           Walter A. Koziarz@halibu (1410)
>In article <1991Jan27.123115.23732@ericsson.se> etxsral@california.ericsson.s
>e (Lars Nilsson) writes:
>>In article <3439@nosc.NOSC.MIL> koziarz@halibut.nosc.mil (Walter A. Koziarz)
> writes:
>>>It's never a good move to try to 'fake-out' hardware handshaking!!!!!  Don'
>t do
>>>it!!  Presented below is *the RIGHT way* to make a null modem cable --
>>>[1]------chassis GND--------[1]
>>>[2]-------------------------[3]
>>>[3]-------------------------[2]
>>>[4]-------------------------[5]
>>>[5]-------------------------[4]
>>>[6]------------------------[20]
>>>[7]-----signal GND----------[7]
>>>[8]-------------------------[8]
>>>[20]------------------------[6]
>>>This is the correct wat to make a FULL-HANDSHAKING null modem; throw away
>>>ANYTHING that tells you to use the 'other', fake-out connection.
>>
>>Uhmm.  Your solution seems good except for the pin 8 to pin 8 connection
>>,connecting an input to an input doesnt work so good.
>>I usually connect pin 8 -- 6 to 20 in the other end.
>>/Lars Nilsson
>

>Ah, but I'm *not* connecting an input to an input.  A null modem is used when
>'I've got an available DCE port and need to connect a DTE device' or vice
>versa.  Examination of pin 8 [DCD] for a DCE device port (female on the
>computer) shows it to be an output.  And for a DTE device port; it is an inpu
>t.
>DCE -- printer; DTE -- modem in my context.  I submit that my connection is
>indeed correct and valid.
>
>Walt K.

Bzzt.  DTE stands for Data Terminal Equipment, such as a computer or
VT100 terminal, etc.  i.e.  It transmits on pin 2 and receives on pin 3.
 DCE stands for Data Communications Equipment, such as a modem.  DCE
transmits on pin 3 and receives on pin 2 (those might be reversed, I'm
not sure, but that's not important).  Many (most?) serial printers are
set up as DTE, god knows why (so you can connect your printer to your
modem, perhaps :-).  When making a null modem cable, almost all of the
pins have a corresponding input/output pin (transmit-receive, RTS-CTS,
DTR-DSR).  However, DCD (data carrier detect) doesn't have such a
partner.  It is always an input from the DTE's point of view.  So,
connecting the pin 8's together does indeed connect an input to an
input.  Fortunately, the concept of carrier detect is lost when
connecting two computers, so you should connect DCD to pin 20 (DTR).

Hope this clears things up.

-Josh Mastronarde
-jm9t+@andrew.cmu.edu

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (01/31/91)

In article <11184@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) writes:

>  ------------------------(lines deleted).............
>
>          I'd have to side with Lars on this one.  By what you are
>          saying above, and looking at your diagram above I'd have
>          to say that your connection is invalid.  Most of the time
>          you use a null modem cable for DTE to DTE.  In the old days,
>          actually not that old, when computer ports weren't as
>          flexible they looked like a DTE expecting a modem or
>          communication device to be hooked up to it.  So, when hooking
>          up a terminal you would use a null modem cable to make each
>          device look like a communication device to each other, although
>          they were actually terminal devices, thus crossing 2 & 3.
>          Above you are talking about hooking up a terminal device(DTE)
>          to a communication device(DCE), but your wiring diagram
>          crosses pins two and three.  I'd say your connection is
>          indeed incorrect and invalid.  And as far as 'fake-out'
>          that's exactly what a null modem, or sometimes called modem
>          eliminator, is for to fake out the DTE into thinking there
>          is a modem or communication device connected to it.  So,
>          for those of you who haven't seen Lars' cable
>
>                         2 -------------- 3
>                         3 -------------- 2
>                       |-4                4-|
>                       |-5                5-|
>                         7 -------------- 7
>                      |-20 -------------- 20-|
>                      |--8                8--|
>                      |--6                6--|
>
>          I think this is what he layed out.  This is what we use.
>          So, if you don't want to use a breakout box to figure out
>          the exact pin configuration try this.  Remember DTE to DTE
>          or DCE to DCE cross 2 & 3, DTE to DCE 2 & 3 straight through.
>

>--
>  Robin Amano          |  robin@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
>  UHCC                 |  Data Communications Dept.
>  2565 The Mall        |  Honolulu, HI  96822

Just to add confusion to the net.  I opened up a el cheapo "RS232 NULL
MODEM" sold by CompuAdd and here is what I find:

                2 ------ 3
                3 ------ 2
              |-4        4-|
              |-5        5-|
                7 ------ 7
             |-20        20-|
             |--8        8--|
             |--6        6--|

Note that there is no interconnection between any of 6,8,20 pins on one
side to any of the same set of pins on the other side.

But, what the heck.  I have used it in connecting a pc to a serial
printer and also connecting two pc's.  It works in both cases and I
am not going to loose sleep over it.  One thing thou, if I am going
to make a NULL MODEM, I will most likely follow the cable manufacturers'
suggestion (e.g., Black Box catalog's diagram, etc.)

Have fun in searching for the ultimate null modem!

Patrick
pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

robin@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.140137.25101@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

>Just to add confusion to the net.  I opened up a el cheapo "RS232 NULL
>MODEM" sold by CompuAdd and here is what I find:
>
>                2 ------ 3
>                3 ------ 2
>              |-4        4-|
>              |-5        5-|
>                7 ------ 7
>             |-20        20-|
>             |--8        8--|
>             |--6        6--|
>
>Note that there is no interconnection between any of 6,8,20 pins on one
>side to any of the same set of pins on the other side.
>
>Have fun in searching for the ultimate null modem!
>
>Patrick
>pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

This cable will definitely work also.  Although if you are using
hardware flow control you may have problems, because there is
no control line.  But, if you use xon/xoff it should be fine.
Although a lot of times if the devices are using xon/xoff a
three wire hook up is all that is needed 2,3, & 7.  But, by
all means not all the time.  RS232 is standard in a sense that
you could guess and make it work or in tough situations, if you
have a breakout box you could figure it out, 'cuz not every
manufacturer does it exactly the same.  I remember on a pc
using yterm going to a starmaster(pacx) switch we had to use
the 4-5, 6-8-20 jumpers on the pc end because yterm was looking
for a modem.  When we hooked up a ps/2 to the switch using yterm,
it wouldn't work.  We found that pin 8 was pulling down pin 20,
we snipped off 8 and it worked fine.  So, we use that pinout as
a time saver or if we don't have a manual, because most of the time
it will work.  If it doesn't work, then we'll go in with a breakout
box and modify it a little.

Well, goodluck!     what are we talking about this for anyway?