[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Insight

c15102151@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu (02/01/91)

Im interested in buying  a 386SX machine, and the company that has been
most willing to work with me, has been Insight, located in Tempe Arizona.
Has anyone out there have an opinion of the machine or has anyone heard
anything about them at all.  Your info is much appreciated.
Adam

dank@eng.umd.edu (Daniel R. Kuespert) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.145159.1@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu> c15102151@rvax.ccit.arizona.ed writes:
>Im interested in buying  a 386SX machine, and the company that has been
>most willing to work with me, has been Insight, located in Tempe Arizona.
>Has anyone out there have an opinion of the machine or has anyone heard
>anything about them at all.  Your info is much appreciated.

I've got one of their 386SX machines and like it.  While it's not the
fastest thing I've ever used, it's good for running windows and light
multitasking.  I had a few problems with it when it arrived: a couple
of SIMMs had worked loose in shipping, but that's negligible.  More
seriously, they didn't ship the copy of Windows I ordered bundled with
it and they made a slightly inferior substitution of video card---they
had spec'd me an ATI VGA Wonder+ and sent a Paradise OEM card.  When I
complained, they exchanged it for a Boca SVGA card (Tseng 4000 chip,
1024x768x256) that has worked out well.

The only other problem I had was the I/O card, which wanted to be the
only thing in the system using I/O interrupt lines.  This conflicted
with my internal modem and made it impossible for me to use my mouse
and my modem.  They replaced that as well (by Federal Express) and
sent a Boca card as a replacement; they said they'd been having
problems with the other supplier's cards (Precision) and were
switching to Boca.  In all cases, they were responsive and replaced
the offending cards with ones that exceeded the original specs.

The rest of system consisted of a Chicony keyboard (kinda flimsy, but
for $100 you can get your own) motherboard and case (also Chicony;
cleanly manufactured), Mitsubishi hard drive (nice) and TVM monitor
(clone of NEC MultiSync 3A).  The whole thing is well made and
reasonably sturdy.  The biggest problem, aside from the card troubles,
was the documentation, which is garbage, but they include the manuals
from all the peripherals and the motherboard, so if you're reasonably
experienced, you should have no trouble.

--
Daniel R. Kuespert                   | Disclaimer:
Chemical Process Systems Lab         |