[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Flaky Soundblaster

brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) (01/26/91)

I just bought a soundblaster card and it works great, except...

When I run my "Indy 500 - The Simulation" game with it (selecting
Adlib sound), it doesn't work reliably.  Sometimes specific sounds
just aren't there (e.g., the sound of my car's engine or the squeal of
the tires just can't be heard, but the other sounds seem fine).  Or
sometimes all the sounds are too high-pitched and the cars all sound
like mosquitos.

I am running a 33 MHz 386 with a Micronics motherboard, Orchid Prodesigner+
VGA, and an Ultrastor ESDI controller.

Is this a known problem with the Soundblaster's Adlib emulation?  Or is it
something else?  Ideas, anyone?
--
Brad Hines
Internet: brad@huey.jpl.nasa.gov

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (01/31/91)

>(Brad Hines)
>Is this a known problem with the Soundblaster's Adlib emulation?  Or is it
>something else?  Ideas, anyone?

I encounter a similar problem with Secret of the Silver Blades. SSI
eventually discovered this was a feature. Apparently when you have a
disk access going on at the same time you are pumping data to the
sound card, there is a DMA conflict that may or may not be handled
properly depending on your hardware.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (01/31/91)

In article <5870030@pollux.svale.hp.com> dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) writes:
<I encounter a similar problem with Secret of the Silver Blades. SSI
<eventually discovered this was a feature. Apparently when you have a
<disk access going on at the same time you are pumping data to the
<sound card, there is a DMA conflict that may or may not be handled
<properly depending on your hardware.

So, did you discover a work-around for this?  I have purchased this game
but it is unplayable unless I unplug the soundblaster card or speakers,
due to the horrible sounds that result.  Perhaps I should try running the
game from a ramdisk.. hmm..
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) (02/01/91)

> I encounter a similar problem with Secret of the Silver Blades. SSI
> eventually discovered this was a feature. Apparently when you have a
> disk access going on at the same time you are pumping data to the
> sound card, there is a DMA conflict that may or may not be handled
> properly depending on your hardware.

I have a Dell 310 and a soundblaster.  I found that there is a DMA
conflict between these two.  CMS confirms this and offered to fix
my board for free.  Two weeks later everything is fine.  I recommened
that anyone with problems call CMS and see if you need the fix with
your computer.  Their number is 408-982-9226.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.sbi.com>

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (02/02/91)

>(Mark Lord)
><I encounter a similar problem with Secret of the Silver Blades. SSI
><eventually discovered this was a feature.
>
>So, did you discover a work-around for this?

Nope. SSI changed the driver to not send sound to the SB during disk
accesses. You will have to contact the game company and see if
they have a new driver that fixes the problem.