[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Sources of 486 MB wanted

faulkner@dev3b.mdcbbs.com (01/30/91)

I am looking for 486 motherboard distributors and manuf.  If you know of any
both reliable and ones to stay away from it would be appreciated.
This message may be a duplicate (sorry).

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.124428.1@dev3b.mdcbbs.com> faulkner@dev3b.mdcbbs.com writes:
>I am looking for 486 motherboard distributors and manuf.  If you know of any
>both reliable and ones to stay away from it would be appreciated.
>This message may be a duplicate (sorry).

Well, if you are looking for a DISTRIBUTOR, someone who sells directly yo
dealers and such, then you should call up the manufacturer of the motherboard
that you are interested in and ask for dealer sales.  When you get them on
the line, they might want to deal with you directly (if you're purchases
exceed 100 a month usually) or they will direct you to a distributor.

Micronics and Mylex both advertise in Byte Magazine or PC Magazine.  They
are very reputable.  I have a friend who is a seriously good technician
and he says to stay away from DTK or AMI motherboards.  AMI's tend to lose
their CMOS information and DTK's are unreliable and incompatible.

If you are looking for someone to sell you a motherboard as an enduser then
call a local merchant and see what they can do.  I haven't seen a Mylex or
Micronics board mail order yet!

Brian

PS Try Haupaugge.  They advertise in BYTE also.  They have a computer MB
called the i4860 which is an i486 with an intel i860 RISC chip.  It is
seriously fast and can be expanded up to 64MB on the motherboard (using 16
4MB SIMMS).

kipp@gistdev.gist.com (Kipp Kreft) (02/02/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>In article <1991Jan30.124428.1@dev3b.mdcbbs.com> faulkner@dev3b.mdcbbs.com writes:
>>I am looking for 486 motherboard distributors and manuf.  If you know of any
>>both reliable and ones to stay away from it would be appreciated.
>>This message may be a duplicate (sorry).

STUFF DELETED

>Micronics and Mylex both advertise in Byte Magazine or PC Magazine.  They
>are very reputable.  I have a friend who is a seriously good technician
>and he says to stay away from DTK or AMI motherboards.  AMI's tend to lose
>their CMOS information and DTK's are unreliable and incompatible.

>If you are looking for someone to sell you a motherboard as an enduser then
>call a local merchant and see what they can do.  I haven't seen a Mylex or
>Micronics board mail order yet!

>Brian

Gateway 2000 uses only Micronics motherboards (at least my 386-33 does).
I assume, but don't know for a fact, that they use Micronics in the 486 also.

Kipp                      kipp@gistdev.gist.com

ejy@cbnewsi.att.com (eugene.yurek) (02/02/91)

> In article <26601@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
> > In article <1991Jan30.124428.1@dev3b.mdcbbs.com> faulkner@dev3b.mdcbbs.com writes:
> >I am looking for 486 motherboard distributors and manuf.
> Micronics and Mylex both advertise in Byte Magazine or PC Magazine.  They
> are very reputable.
> I haven't seen a Mylex or Micronics board mail order yet!
>
> Brian
>
> PS Try Haupaugge.  They advertise in BYTE also.  They have a computer MB
> called the i4860 which is an i486 with an intel i860 RISC chip.  It is
> seriously fast and can be expanded up to 64MB on the motherboard (using 16
> 4MB SIMMS).

I know of a computer company that, though they don't advertise in magazines,
do sell Mylex and Haupaugge motherboards mail-order.  Their prices are
fairly competitive.

If anyone is interested, EMAIL me and I'll respond with their name and
number.  I have no association whatsoever with this company, other than
being a satisfied customer.

By the way, I have found that the Haupaugge motherboards are far more
expensive than the Mylex motherboards.  I've never had a problem with
a Mylex motherboard, nor do I know anyone who has (I'm probably about
to start a net-war here).

--
Eugene J. Yurek				Internet: ejy@honasa.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories			    UUCP: ...!att!honasa!ejy

In article <26601@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

| Micronics and Mylex both advertise in Byte Magazine or PC Magazine.  They
| are very reputable.  I have a friend who is a seriously good technician
| and he says to stay away from DTK or AMI motherboards.  AMI's tend to lose
| their CMOS information and DTK's are unreliable and incompatible.

  Any board with a dead battery will lose it's CMOS info. Other than
that I've had about a dozen I've installed or otherwise know, and none
has has a problem, including this one which has been running for 50
months and may be one of the oldest 386's used as a news and mail server.

| If you are looking for someone to sell you a motherboard as an enduser then
| call a local merchant and see what they can do.  I haven't seen a Mylex or
| Micronics board mail order yet!

  You don't read _PC Week_. Mylex: Stellar, 415-601-1864, Micronics:
Lucky Computer, 800-348-5825 (and other locations). I spotted these on
the first page I opened, so I bet there are more.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX