[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] You got Sumsang 17" SVGA monitor??

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/01/91)

Hear ye, hear ye, all you great computer professionals of netland, with
all your expensive 33MHz's, 486's, 8meg RAM's, 200MB hard drive's,
and laser printers, doesn't anybody own a 16" or 17" under $1000 monitor???

Well, since my request post for Goldstar 16" SVGA monitor, I received
only one piece of maybe-info, but many request for the same info, so I am
posting this.  The maybe-info is that the Goldstar Monitor is said to
not support 800x600 (thanks to sayer).  However that doesn't really
concern me as I only want a 16" monitor to play games at 320x200x256.
So, if no one has the Goldstar 16" ($623), maybe somebody has the
Sumsang 17" SVGA (about $880 from USA FLEX), or the $1,399 20" SVGA
monitor (I forgot what brand) advertized and wrote-up in
Computer Shoppers.  Anybody care to share their experiences?
There are at least 5 of us in netland that really want to know.

Also, during last summer I had a REAL job involved programming
infront of a 19" color monitor of a Sparc 1+ for 8 hours a day.
After each day, I find myself quite unusually exhausted, which I think is
from looking at the 19" screen 2 feet away for that long.  Before that,
I looked at 14" screen for years and for longer hours each day, yet
I don't get that tire.  Anybody's got the same experience?

Thanks in advance.

E. Teng Ong (ong@d.cs.okstate.edu)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/02/91)

From article <1991Feb1.042345.6707@d.cs.okstate.edu>, by ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG):
> Hear ye, hear ye, all you great computer professionals of netland, with
> all your expensive 33MHz's, 486's, 8meg RAM's, 200MB hard drive's,
> and laser printers, doesn't anybody own a 16" or 17" under $1000 monitor???

Well, my provocative post above finally worked!  Here is an email I
received merely a few hours later (Thanks you).

>I've a Goldstar 16". It does do VGA (640x480) and 8514/a (1024x768
>interlaced). No 800x600, though. Works fine with Orchid Prodesigner II
>on 640x480x256 and 1024x768x256 in Windows 3.
>
>Purchase price (new, of course).... f 800 = $ 400 (said the proud Dutchman)
>
>Hope this helps!

Thanks again, it sure does.  Now for $623 from USAFLEX (1-800-USA-FLEX)...
Anybody knows of a lower price in US?  Anyone care to come along?

Note:  My only dealing with USAFLEX is buying a single external modem
       from them about 2 weeks ago (charged me #%$!#@& $10 S&H, arrived
       in 5 days).  As far as I can tell, they have the cheapest price
       on the 16" monitor.

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/02/91)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:

>Well, since my request post for Goldstar 16" SVGA monitor, I received
>only one piece of maybe-info, but many request for the same info, so I am
>posting this.  The maybe-info is that the Goldstar Monitor is said to
>not support 800x600 (thanks to sayer).  However that doesn't really
>concern me as I only want a 16" monitor to play games at 320x200x256.
>So, if no one has the Goldstar 16" ($623), maybe somebody has the
>Sumsang 17" SVGA (about $880 from USA FLEX), or the $1,399 20" SVGA
>monitor (I forgot what brand) advertized and wrote-up in
>Computer Shoppers.  Anybody care to share their experiences?
>There are at least 5 of us in netland that really want to know.

You might regret getting a 16" monitor that doesn't have 1024x768.
As graphics standards become more "standard" applications (and games?)
will be using higher resolutions.

Have you considered the NEC 4D?  They just dropped the price on this
beauty, and I've seen it selling under $899.  It is non-interlaced
at 1024x768, got Editor's Choice in PC Magazine, has front-mounted
controls, memory-recall for auto-centering different resolutions,
and is a .28dpi 16" monitor.

>Also, during last summer I had a REAL job involved programming
>infront of a 19" color monitor of a Sparc 1+ for 8 hours a day.
>After each day, I find myself quite unusually exhausted, which I think is
>from looking at the 19" screen 2 feet away for that long.  Before that,
>I looked at 14" screen for years and for longer hours each day, yet
>I don't get that tire.  Anybody's got the same experience?

No...I set even my 14" monitor 3-4 feet away from me.  Do you also
watch TV with the screen 2 ft. away?   :)

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/02/91)

From article <1991Feb1.181422.20994@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith):

> You might regret getting a 16" monitor that doesn't have 1024x768.
> As graphics standards become more "standard" applications (and games?)
> will be using higher resolutions.

The 16" does support 1024x768 interlaced.  I know about the flicker
problem.  It should not bother if you use it for say...  WP preview
only.

> Have you considered the NEC 4D?  They just dropped the price on this
> beauty, and I've seen it selling under $899.  It is non-interlaced
> at 1024x768, got Editor's Choice in PC Magazine, has front-mounted
> controls, memory-recall for auto-centering different resolutions,
> and is a .28dpi 16" monitor.

$899 compared to $623?  Hhhmmm...

> No...I set even my 14" monitor 3-4 feet away from me.  Do you also
> watch TV with the screen 2 ft. away?   :)

Nop!  Watch my TV about 8 to 10 feet away.  By the way, I don't
think you should watch TV at 3-4 feet, ha, ha.  The reason I use the
19" at 2 feet is that with X-window on a Sun Sparc station, I set the
font very small so I can see many lines on the screen at the same time.
About 100 lines.

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/03/91)

From article <26629@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook):
> [stuff deleted]
> Remember, when you are sitting in front a computer, you may be doing CAD,
> WP, accounting, term emul, programming, or ANYTHINg.  But NO MATTER WHAT YOU
> ARE DOING YOU WILL ALWAYS BE LOOKING AT YOUR MONITOR!  And for something
> that you will be devoting that much time in front of, don't you think you
> should get the best you can get?  I'd wait a bit and save up that
> extra cash.

I think your justification is good and fine, for office use.  But many of us
looking at Goldstar 16" merely want it for home use.  For office use
I admit spending more money now to support future "default" standard is
wise.  But what do we use it at home?

Not window (I got win3 and even the window developer's kit
but I have yet to touch it for months), not CAD (at least
not too many of us), for wordprocessing we use text mode (either
80x25 or 132x43) except for preview like in WordPerfect 5.1 which
is one of the reason I want 16" to do 1024x768 interlace.  You don't
need noninterlace for preview as you look at it only perhaps 1% of the time.
Accounting, term emul, and programming, all text mode.  I assume
Goldstar 16" use noninterlace for text mode?

The biggest point is many of us find it hard enough to scrap up $623, must less
$899 (more than $250 in addition?) of our own money for home.  Of course,
in office that is usually not a problem if a justification is made for
it.

In article <1991Feb1.042345.6707@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
| Hear ye, hear ye, all you great computer professionals of netland, with
| all your expensive 33MHz's, 486's, 8meg RAM's, 200MB hard drive's,
| and laser printers, doesn't anybody own a 16" or 17" under $1000 monitor???

  What's the big deal? You can get  a NEC 4D or Diamondscan for <$1k.
Both nice monitors, used them at work, but went for the 5D later (at
work, still using a standard Multisync home).
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

In article <1991Feb1.181422.20994@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) writes:

| Have you considered the NEC 4D?  They just dropped the price on this
| beauty, and I've seen it selling under $899.  It is non-interlaced
| at 1024x768, got Editor's Choice in PC Magazine, has front-mounted
| controls, memory-recall for auto-centering different resolutions,
| and is a .28dpi 16" monitor.

  Um, I think the 3D and 5D have .28, and the 4D has .31. I don't have
the specs here, but the 4D is not as high res as the others as I recall.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX