[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Screen Jitter Problems

chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) (02/04/91)

[I changed the subject line to reflect the new topic]

In article <327@stiatl.UUCP>, tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) writes:
> jwbirdsa@amc-gw.amc.com (James Birdsall) writes:
> >One other note: the Seiko CM1430 radiates magnetic fields all over the
> >place, causing monitors near it to jitter. Do newer models still have this
> >problem?
>
> Well, I have an old Sanyo monochrome monitor in use next to my Seiko CM1450,
> and have no jitter problem.  I separate the screens by at least six inches,
> to avoid the predictable problem of distortion caused by magnetic interference

I my experience, the "jitter" problem may *not* due to radiated RF emissions,
but due to CONDUCTED RF via the AC cables. Ever wonder what that block on
one end of the power cord (resembles a dice swallowed by a skinny snake) is
for?  It's a ferrite (iron) bead designed to reduce CONDUCTED RF noise.

If you experience the screen jitters, I'd suggest this experiment -- separate
plug in both monitors into the same outlet and separate the monitors as much
as possible (i.e., several yards); if the jitters continue, then the problem
is likely CONDUCTED RF.  The fix: (1) RF power filter, (2) put monitors on
separate circuits (if you have that luxury), or (3) turn off the monitor
not in use.

--
Jerry Chan 508-853-0747, Fax 508-853-2262  |"My views necessarily reflect the
Chan Smart!Ware Computer Services & Prods  | views of the Company because