[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PC with 2 serial ports

sbl@supergirl.hut.fi (Simo Matti Blom) (02/05/91)

Hello

I would like to know where one could buy a cheap PC that meets the following
requirements:
  - 2 COM-ports
  - hard-disk, keyboard and display NOT necessary
  - UPS or accumalator
  - cheap

Some portables could do, but usually they have only one COM-port and to have
a second you must byu a very expensive card from the manufacturer.
A XT could also be used, but one must buy a expensive UPS to have continuous
power supply.
I have heard that it might be possible to use a LPT-port as a second COM-port.
Does anybody know anything more about that ?

Simo Blom
sbl@niksula.hut.fi

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (02/06/91)

sbl@supergirl.hut.fi (Simo Matti Blom) writes:

>Hello

>I would like to know where one could buy a cheap PC that meets the following
>requirements:
>  - 2 COM-ports
>  - hard-disk, keyboard and display NOT necessary
>  - UPS or accumalator
>  - cheap

>Some portables could do, but usually they have only one COM-port and to have
>a second you must byu a very expensive card from the manufacturer.
>A XT could also be used, but one must buy a expensive UPS to have continuous
>power supply.
>I have heard that it might be possible to use a LPT-port as a second COM-port.
>Does anybody know anything more about that ?

Why don't you just get whatever machine you want
go out and buy a second IO card.  You can get a
serial/parallel card from most mail order houses in the US for about $49.
The back of PC Magazine is loaded with ads for these.  You'll probably
pay more for it if the computer comes with it anyway.

--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (02/07/91)

| sbl@supergirl.hut.fi (Simo Matti Blom) writes:
| >I would like to know where one could buy a cheap PC that meets the following
| >requirements:
| >  - 2 COM-ports

I got a 2serial/1parallel/1gameport card, 8-bit bus connector, for my
new machine.  The card was under $20 (U.S.)

I'll sell you a cheap used XT clone to put under such a card... :-)