[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] superVGA Trident, ATI

wood@Software.Mitel.COM (Dale Wood) (02/04/91)

Well, so much for my clone VGA card. - Before I upgrade should I be
conserned about getting drivers for the Trident or ATI chip sets?

Somebody was telling me that they had a problem with the ATI card when
a co-processer was intalled. (Not a real concern of mine yet)

...Dale

wood@Software.Mitel.COM

wkb@cbnews.att.com (Wm. Keith Brummett) (02/07/91)

    In article <WOOD.91Feb4102545@wood.Software.Mitel.COM>, wood@Software.
    Mitel.COM (Dale Wood) writes:

    > Somebody was telling me that they had a problem with the ATI card
    > when a co-processer was intalled. (Not a real concern of mine yet)

    What sort of machine did they have?  I use an ATI VGA Wonder 512K in an
    (infamous) AT&T PC6300.  This machine has a byte-reversal problem with
    EGA and above, and requires a small "bus correction" board.  The company
    that sells the board distributes with it a diskette of programs that
    correct some errors (I guess) in the system BIOS.  The company will tell
    you which, if any, of the programs you need for any specific video card.

    For the VGA Wonder, only one small program is needed -- to initialize a
    register at boot time.  Without this program, my VGA Wonder would not
    emulate CGA when the motherboard DIP switches indicated that a co-
    processor was present.  Since I did not receive the diskette with my
    correction board, I thought the VGA card was at fault.  The folks at ATI
    didn't have a clue.  I called the correction board company, and they
    quickly determined that I was missing the program, and sent me the
    diskette.  Everything works great, now.

    -- Keith

--
    | W. Keith Brummett          (614) 860-3187          AT&T, Room 3B-202 |
    | att!cblph!wkb  or,                               6200 East Broad St. |