[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 3.5 floppy

cs161fgt@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Richard Wun) (02/06/91)

I'm having problems installing a 3.5 1.44 Meg floppy disk drive on
my computer.  The Motherboard is a DTK 286 12Mgz and the Bios is
DTK 3.03 (its pretty old and doesn't recognize 1.44 drives).  I've
tried both the drivparm and driver.sys commands without any success.
I've use both "drivparm = /D:1 /F:7 /S:18 /C" and also
"Device = C:\dos\driver.sys = /D:1 /F:7 /S:18 /C" but neither works
and I end up getting a sector not found error and after that an
INT 24 error.  Both the 1.44 drive and the controller are fine
because I checked them out to make sure they were good.  Is my last
option just to upgrade the bios or is there any other way?

Richard Wun
cs161fgt@icse2.ucsd.edu
rwun@ucsd.edu

berger@atropa (Dire Wolf) (02/08/91)

cs161fgt@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Richard Wun) writes:
>because I checked them out to make sure they were good.  Is my last
>option just to upgrade the bios or is there any other way?
*----
The MS/PC-DOS 3.5" diskette support depend on BIOS routines, but there
are stand-alone diskette drivers that should work without modifying
anything else.  The drivers are often bundled with disk drives.
I got one from Franklin Telecom some time ago.  I also have used
Micro Solutions Uniform, but that's probably a lot more elaborate than
what you want.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois