[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] How do I connect PC serial port to Apple Laserwriter?

mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) (02/02/91)

Hi all,

   I need to connect a PC compatible to an Apple Laserwriter IINT through
the serial port, using the minimum # of connections.  Could someone
mail me a pin-to-pin wiring table for this specific application?  I
am using 25-pin plugs.

Also, the Laserwriter will be connected to both the PC (serial port) and
to our Mac network (Appletalk?).  Anybody know if it will work?  (ie. if
the printer is not busy, it will accept data from either source?)

- Mark

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Mark A. Fontana (215)573-8410 | ACCOMPANYING, ANIMATION, PROGRAMMING, DALs  |
| mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |   ** PEACE ** PAIX ** MIR ** FRIEDEN **     |

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (02/08/91)

mfontana@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark A Fontana) writes:

>   I need to connect a PC compatible to an Apple Laserwriter IINT through
>the serial port, using the minimum # of connections.  Could someone

>Also, the Laserwriter will be connected to both the PC (serial port) and
>to our Mac network (Appletalk?).  Anybody know if it will work?  (ie. if
>the printer is not busy, it will accept data from either source?)

Minimum # of connections:  2-3, 3-2, 7-7
With this minimal wiring, you'll need to have the printer and PC
software use xon/xoff.

The laserwriter will not accept both serial and appletalk.  QMS has a
printer that is supposed to be able to do this.

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/08/91)

There are 2 dip switch on the back of the Apple laser printer which can be flip
ped to switch from RS-232 (serial) to Appletalk.  I just switch them when I nee
d to print from my PC and switch it back to print from the Mac.

                                             A.P.