[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Question about 386 Upgrading

jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu (02/10/91)

I have a question or two about upgrading.

Currently I have the following system:
10 MHz 80286 Clone
80287 Math Coprocessor
1 Meg of RAM on the Motherboard
1.2 Meg Floppy
1.44 Meg Floppy
40 Meg Hard Drive
EGA Card (512K) and color EGA monitor

I am considering the possibility of upgrading to a 386 machine

Would it be more economical (in your opinion) to purchase a new
system and sell mine off, or to purchase a new motherboard and
possibly video card/monitor and sell mine off piecemeal.  By
the way, I am interested in the same floppy configuration and at
least a 40 Meg HD (in other words, I can live with my current size)

So what do you think?

Another question: If I were to try to sell the whole system, what
would you consider a fair price (for both the seller and buyer)?

Thanks for your assistance!

Jason
jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu

**I speak only for myself, not my university**

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb9.172652.3047@coral.bucknell.edu> jbaker@coral.bucknell.edu writes:
>Currently I have the following system:
>10 MHz 80286 Clone
>80287 Math Coprocessor
>1 Meg of RAM on the Motherboard
>1.2 Meg Floppy
>1.44 Meg Floppy
>40 Meg Hard Drive
>EGA Card (512K) and color EGA monitor
>
>I am considering the possibility of upgrading to a 386 machine.
>Would it be more economical (in your opinion) to purchase a new
>system and sell mine off, or to purchase a new motherboard and
>possibly video card/monitor and sell mine off piecemeal.  By
>the way, I am interested in the same floppy configuration and at
>least a 40 Meg HD (in other words, I can live with my current size)
>So what do you think?

From my own experience, you are going to want more than 40MB HD on
your 386.  I have a 68 and I wish at times that it was bigger and
I don't keep that much on it, probably a quarter of my whole
base of programs.  I think that I would salvage the 1.2M floppy
from your old computer because a lot of people don't want to
mess with 5.25ers any more and sell the rest of your old computer
as a unit probably for around $500.  Without looking in the
Computer Shopper I would estimate such a system costing around
$1000 new so $500 should be a good round starting figure.

Your other option would be to salvage your case, floppy's, and probably
even your hard drive (you could put two on the new one anyway), your
video setup if you like it and sell your motherboard with or without
the coprocessor.  I say this because you might want to put the
287 in your 386.  I'll let someone with more expertise in that
area give comments on that.  I don't know what such a motherboard
would sell for.  For your new one then you would just buy the
motherboard and maybe a hard drive and video.

One last word, make sure your case has a power supply of at least 200W
preferable 230 or 250 for your 386.  This should not be a problem
if you buy a new case but your 286 may not have that much kick.

Hope I was of some help!

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |