[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Parallel cable longer than 12'

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (01/20/91)

In article <10962@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> klee@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:
> Hi everyone, I was wondering if parallel printer signal would
> be able to go as far as 30 feet or even 24 feet.  Has anyone ever
> tried to connect parallel printer as far as 15 feet or more?

I have had two installations that have had 50 FOOT parallel cables made.
We had a local cable company make them with their best low-cap highly
shielded cable.

They wouldn't guarantee it, and we said "yes we know, we are willing to
take that chance".  We routed it carefully to avoid any interference, and
they are still running, 5 years later.   That cable cost a LOT however.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (01/22/91)

In article <10962@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> you write:
>Hi everyone, I was wondering if parallel printer signal would
>be able to go as far as 30 feet or even 24 feet.  Has anyone ever
>tried to connect parallel printer as far as 15 feet or more?

Inmac sells parallel printer cables up to 100' long, made with twisted pair
double shielded low-capacitance cable.  Like every thing else Inmac sells,
they're expensive, $35 for 8', $66 for 25', $96 for 50', and $156 for 100'.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/10/91)

I have made a 35' parallel cable that didn't have any problems with transmissio
ns.  They were low capacitance, shielded.  The whole thing cost approx. $14.  I
 paid $85 for 200' reel and $8 for a dozen plastic parallel connectors.(the cov
ers were plastic, not the pins) and $6 for 1000 pins.  Used it all up too.  VER
Y cost effective.  Lucky for me my lab had a scrimp tool or else it would have
taken me forever and a day to do it.  I made 2 35' and the rest were 15' cords.
I didn't have any problems transmitting via any of the cables.
                                             A.P.