[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Conner drives

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (02/11/91)

In article <26829@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>Summary of drives as follows:

[Stuff Deleted]
>Conner:
>
>	Price:  High
>	Speed:	above average
>	Reliability: Excellent
>	Heat and Power Consumption: Excellent
>	Value:	Good

	I think I would qualify the Conner as a LOW cost drive...certainly
not high.  Recent prices on a Conner CP-3200 200Meg SCSI drive are around
$785.00.  Figure it out in dollars/Meg and they look real competitive.  From
what I can see they are fairly good performers too.

>I got very high praise for the quiet nature and low heat of the Conner
>drives, the fact that Conner OEMS to COMPAQ, Conner drives are very
>reliable, and they work well.

	They also OEM for DEC on their MicroVAX series of SCSI drives.  I
think DEC's RZ-23 is actually a Conner CP-3100.

>Oh, just FYI, I got several notes that Miniscribes SUCK....but I cannot
>testify to that other than I have returned 8 Blue Chip Miniscribe 40MB
>drives in the past year while working at a computer store.

	Yeah, I think Miniscribe went belly up.  You can still find a lot
of their drives on the market.  I'm not sure how well supported they are
at the moment.

--
Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.		  or: rutgers!ub!jones

You are in a maze of twisty little compiler features, all different.