[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Joysticks, Game Controllers -- What's Good?

jaffe@uunet.UU.NET (Bruce Jaffe (ext 3581)) (01/24/91)

I am considering the purchase of a joystick and game controller for my PC
(a 386-SX), but I have no idea what's available or which products are of
superior quality.  I have searched product review data bases and come up
empty handed.  Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (01/24/91)

>I am considering the purchase of a joystick and game controller for my PC
>(a 386-SX), but I have no idea what's available or which products are of
>superior quality.  I have searched product review data bases and come up
>empty handed.  Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
--------------------------
I just got a Gravis (Advanced, i think) for my SX. It's the only IBM joystick
I've ever had and I am VVERRRY pleased with it. I paid $44.50 but saw it at
Fry's electronics for $29.95. (408)733-1770. I has a fairly large base with
"sticky" rubber feet so it stays put. The tension is adjustable from fairly
tight to floppy loose. There are 3 "fire" buttons that can each be set to
either of the 2 standard buttons; 2 on the base (left side) and one on the
top of the air-craft style grip. Any of the buttons can be turned off, too.
I got it for the Microprose game, Knights of the Sky after trying to play
it with a mouse. (that was a painfull experience!) I also highly recommend
the game! 			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (01/25/91)

In article <232@zeus.mc.ab.com>, abvax!jaffe.MC!jaffe@uunet.UU.NET (Bruce Jaffe (ext 3581)) writes:
> I am considering the purchase of a joystick and game controller for my PC
> (a 386-SX), but I have no idea what's available or which products are of
> superior quality.  I have searched product review data bases and come up
> empty handed.  Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

I would *strongly* recommend the CH Products Flightstick. It is a heavy
duty, well made product that is particularly suited to flight simulators.
It has two trim wheels for centering, and a larger inset wheel that mimics
one axis of a second joystick (ideal for the throttle on MS Flight Simulator).
The actual stick has a solid feel, with a top button and a trigger button.

It retails at $79.95, although US magazines carry ads for a good deal less (I
bought it direct since I had to import it to the UK).

They also do game cards, more expensive than most but of excellent quality,
that can adjust to the speed of your machine. They even do an MCA card for
PS/2 (which is what I wanted and how I initially heard of them).
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury
                         | +44 227 764000 ext 7589

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (01/28/91)

/ dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) /  9:03 am  Jan 25, 1991 / writes:

$ The best joystick controller is the SoundBlaster music card. It has a
$ stick port as well as providing music. After playing The Colonel's Bequest,
$ Loom, Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain, or Rise of the Dragon with
$ a sound card you will never go back to the PC speaker again.
$
Danny, you should try WING COMMANDER. If you think the sound from Their
Finest Hour is great, the sound from WING COMMANDER will knock your socks
off.   :-). The music runs throughout the game and pace changes with pace
of game.

As for joystick, I use a "made in China" -- SuperShot joystick. Paid about
US$12 for it.  Suprisingly, it handles a lot better than all other sticks
I tried, including the Yoke (sp ??). Both buttons one the stick; very
easy for single hand operation. The other hand can work the keyboard for
more game control.

Regards,     . .. ... .- -> -->## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
                                             Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (01/29/91)

From article <3370011@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com>, by plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim):
> / dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) /  9:03 am  Jan 25, 1991 / writes:
>
> $ The best joystick controller is the SoundBlaster music card. It has a
> $ stick port as well as providing music. After playing The Colonel's Bequest,
> $ Loom, Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain, or Rise of the Dragon with
> $ a sound card you will never go back to the PC speaker again.
> $
> Danny, you should try WING COMMANDER. If you think the sound from Their
> Finest Hour is great, the sound from WING COMMANDER will knock your socks
> off.   :-). The music runs throughout the game and pace changes with pace
> of game.
>
> As for joystick, I use a "made in China" -- SuperShot joystick. Paid about
> US$12 for it.  Suprisingly, it handles a lot better than all other sticks
> I tried, including the Yoke (sp ??). Both buttons one the stick; very
> easy for single hand operation. The other hand can work the keyboard for
> more game control.

Yes, I couldn't agree more.  I have the "QuickShot" which I think is
the same as the "SuperShot" (sold under different name), Made in China,
bought in Soft Warehouse for about $9.  The only "thing" I had to add to
it was to scotch-tape its suction (sp?) cups to the table, partly because
my table does not works well with suction cups alone.  However, I also
think that everyone should have a MAXX yoke to complement the
joystick.  The joystick is a must in games like WING COMMANDER (wow!),
but for driving games like Stunt Driver and Indy500, a yoke handles better
as they simulates a steering wheel.  I have seen non-MAXX yoke for higher
price, and they are more fragile.  If anyone's seen a yoke more
steady and solid than MAXX yoke, please let me know and also its price
(MAXX yoke $60 from Soft Warehouse).

I would also have to praise WING COMMANDER.  The first time I saw it was
its ad in games magazines.  I simply couldn't believe that with the
dazzling graphics, it could produce the kind of functionality it advertised!
But it DOES.  I guessed I was taken in before too many times (by games
like StarCon), and that WC was not from Electronics Art (which gave me
fantastic games like LHX and Indy500).  But WING COMMANDER, as it turns
out, is 10 times better than any PC action games I have played.  It's the
best in many respects, including but not limited to, its fundamental
simulation model, its ray-traced graphics, its sound effects and music
score, it storyline, its interaction devices, etc.  You haven't live it,
if you have not played WING COMMANDER.  (be warned, you need a
full-size joystick, a Sound Blaster or equiv., color VGA, at least
12MHz AT or 25MHz 386 for full speed).

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (Charlap) (01/29/91)

I've always used the Mark-III (or is is Mark-II?) joystick from CH products.
Never had a problem.  Other sticks eventually wear out, but this one hasn't.

--- Dave (cd5340@mars.njit.edu)

tmkk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan28.164543.21942@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>From article <3370011@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com>, by plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim):
>> As for joystick, I use a "made in China" -- SuperShot joystick. Paid about
>> US$12 for it.  Suprisingly, it handles a lot better than all other sticks
>> I tried, including the Yoke (sp ??). Both buttons one the stick; very
>> easy for single hand operation. The other hand can work the keyboard for
>> more game control.
>
>Yes, I couldn't agree more.  I have the "QuickShot" which I think is
>the same as the "SuperShot" (sold under different name), Made in China,
>bought in Soft Warehouse for about $9.

I was "bred and buttered" on Atari joysticks (first for the VCS, and later
for the 400 and 800 computers). I've always loved the response characteristics
of these digital joysticks. The analog types IBMs use always felt mushy and
were slow to respond. I also dislike the enormous aircraft-lookalike type
joystick - I prefer something small which I hold in my left hand comfortably
and use my left fingers to fire, while moving the stick with my right hand.
I'm seeing ads for an Epyx 500 XJ and something called the Ergostick which
seem to fit the bill. They work with IBMs, so they must be analog, but how
firm/response is the stick action? How durable are they? They're available
mail order for $10 - $12, and I'm thinking of getting one, but would like to
hear from people who have used them.

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (01/31/91)

>(Peter Lim)
>Danny, you should try WING COMMANDER. If you think the sound from Their
>Finest Hour is great, the sound from WING COMMANDER will knock your socks
>off.   :-). The music runs throughout the game and pace changes with pace
>of game.

I have tried WC. An excellent game but the sound EFFECTS (as opposed
to the music) is not as good as BoB (as Their Finest Hour is called
by many people.) Check out the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe demo
program. Listen to the sound when you lower the flaps and wheels on
your Me 262. It's very realistic.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP CPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/12/91)

I've had an ATARI 800 myself and went through 8-10 of their joysticks.  I reall
y liked those things.  I've used the Slik sticks and the two Wico joysticks, bu
t they weren't as good.  However, on IBM sim's I was not comfortable with any o
f the Kraft III series or Ergo Stick,     my responses improved remarkably when
 I used the Gravis Mk4 and the CH Flightstick.  Their pistol grip design can re
ally give you an advantage in both feel and response for sim's.  For arcade typ
e games the foam grip of the Gravis is easy on your hands, but the CH Flightsti
ck becomes very awkward.
                                               A.P.