[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SPECmarks....

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) (02/09/91)

I have heard of benchmarks before, even landmarks, but what are SPEC marks?

My boss asked me to find out what the SPEC mark ratings for an Intel 386
and an Intel 486 were. Do any of you happen to have that information?

I would really appreciate it!

If you don't know the SPECmark for the 386/486, could you send me a message
with your machine, and its SPECmark?

Thanks!
Brandon

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    xmg23356, macbrando          |

newbery@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Santiago Newbery) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb8.201336.24388@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:

|>I have heard of benchmarks before, even landmarks, but what are SPEC marks?
|>
|>My boss asked me to find out what the SPEC mark ratings for an Intel 386
|>and an Intel 486 were. Do any of you happen to have that information?
|>
|>I would really appreciate it!
|>
|>If you don't know the SPECmark for the 386/486, could you send me a message
|>with your machine, and its SPECmark?

The Specmark comes from an industry consortium which includes workstation
vendors such as Sun, IBM, HP and Intel. This benchmark is a composite
of the results of 10 different tests. The idea is that the Specmark
suite is less susceptible to benchmark "cheating" than the Dhrystone-based
MIPS benchmark. Others complain however, that is more weighted in favor of
floating-pt. performance vs. integer performance, so Intel branched off
and created the I Spec or Integer Specmark.
In any case here is some data:

Workstation                  MHz         Specmark          I Specmark
==============               ===         ========          ==========

Compaq DeskPro 486           25            8.7                12.9
Sun Sparc IPC                25           10.0                11.2
Sun Sparc SLC                20            7.6                 9.5

sauer@chs.dell.com (Charlie Sauer) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.073342.381@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> ...Others complain however, that is more weighted in favor of
>> floating-pt. performance vs. integer performance, so Intel branched off
>> and created the I Spec or Integer Specmark.
>
>"Others" is approximately "intel" - to the extent that pundits say that "I
>SPECmark" really means "Intel SPECmark".
>
>The serious political point in this is that SPEC hasn't blessed anything
>called an "Integer SPECmark" (as far as I know).  The serious technical
>point is that, if the SPEC test suite overemphasizes floating-point (which
>I personally think it does, but what do I know?), the "I Spec" ignores it
>completely, which is rather worse.

Maybe I didn't see the first Intel documents which separated the 4 nominally
integer benchmarks from the 6 nominally floating point components of SPEC 1,
but the first public use of this distinction that I remember came from John
Mashey of MIPS, shortly after the RS/6000 announcement.  Of course, John
properly presented the individual results, the geometric mean of the floating
components and the overall geometric mean, as well.
--
Charlie Sauer       Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!sauer
(512) 343-3310      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:sauer@dell.com

garyt@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Tse) (02/12/91)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
|newbery@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Santiago Newbery) writes in response to a
|general "what's a SPECmark?" question:
|> ...Others complain however, that is more weighted in favor of
|> floating-pt. performance vs. integer performance, so Intel branched off
|> and created the I Spec or Integer Specmark.

|"Others" is approximately "intel" - to the extent that pundits say that "I
|SPECmark" really means "Intel SPECmark".

Shucks, the SPEC number is supposed to be reported with a breakdown on
the results of all the component benchmarks of the suite anyway.  Given
the breakdown, if someone wants to generate an "integer SPEC", or a "fp
SPEC", or an "everything-but-spice SPEC", that's cool.  Gives the marketing
critters something to do, ya know.  Besides, the rest of us can calculate
geometric means too.

Oh, or do you mean Intel is quoting their "I SPEC" number without giving a
breakdown?  Well, heck, yet another null data point in their marketing
stuff is no big deal.

(Honestly, though, anything, even this "I SPECmark", is an improvement
over Dhrystone mips or Landmark MHz or whatever they use nowadays.  Just
MHO, of course.  I am not interested in a benchmark flame, no sir. :-)

--
 Gary Tse,  garyt@ios.Convergent.COM  ||  tse@soda.Berkeley.EDU
 Live free or die.