[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Ti 34010 based video cards

howard@kcl-cs.UUCP (JR Howard) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.001553.44414@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> scogman@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

>I would like to know peoples views on some TI 34010 or TI 34020 based
>graphics boards.  Like the NEC graphics engine or the Hercules Graphics
>Station Card.

For what its worth - TIGA is the way with the TMS34xxx series.  This
technically provides the compatability and flexibility required in a system
whose architecture isn't strictly orientated towards the VGA standard.  As
for the TMS34020 as a processor - its good, very good.  5000% after than the
TMS34010, onboard windowing, graphic primatives, video management. host
interface plus all the CISC expected features such as caching etc.

I'm using one in a PC prototype card, and when coupled with TMS44C251 VRAM,
I expect 1.2 billion bits/sec and 1Gbit/s block fills.  If you want a card
whose graphics can shift - this has to be the best 2D processor around.  If you
require 3D stuff, consider breaking away from SVGA and look at some systems
with an i860 type processor.

JR

with an i860 or 9000