[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Zenith FTM monitor problem

tag1@ra.MsState.Edu (Timothy A. Griffin) (02/12/91)

In <4662@melon5.UUCP> skrbec@motcid.UUCP (Brad Skrbec) writes:

>I have been having a problem with my Zenith 1490 FTM monitor
>for a while now.  The screen on the monitor "shrinks" in and out at
>the edges of the picture frequently, making the normally readable
>........[stuff deleted]....

  No the monitor will not need replacing...There is a slight manufacturing
defect present in most all Z1490 monitors that causes undue corrosion/oxidation
of certain connectors inside the monitor.  The usual manifestation of the
corrosion is in wavy or unstable video.  This problem is easily correctable,
however.  If you feel comfortable working inside your monitor, e-mail
me at the below address, and I will be gald to provide the procedure for
correcting the problem.  I would post here, but do not want to be responsible
for any electrocutions or imploding monitors!   :-)

  Of course, if you do not feel comfortable opening your monitor, you should
take it to an 'authorized Zenith service center' for a free fix, as this
IS a documented problem.

  Hope this helps!

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (02/13/91)

tag1@ra.MsState.Edu (Timothy A. Griffin) writes:
>  No the monitor will not need replacing...There is a slight manufacturing
>defect present in most all Z1490 monitors that causes undue corrosion/oxidation
>of certain connectors inside the monitor.  The usual manifestation of the
>corrosion is in wavy or unstable video.  This problem is easily correctable,
>however.  If you feel comfortable working inside your monitor, e-mail
>me at the below address, and I will be gald to provide the procedure for
>correcting the problem.  I would post here, but do not want to be responsible
>for any electrocutions or imploding monitors!   :-)

My Z1490 screen "hiccups" now & again...if the fix is remedial I'd
like to do it, too.  I haven't yet received e-mail from the net
successfully (I don't know why & I'm not the system manager).  So,
please post the fix with lots of disclaimers & print yourself a copy
as evidence.  I'd sure appreciate the info.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>