[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP - How can I use my monitor in Europe ???

ladanyi@parvati.cs.cornell.edu (La'szlo' Lada'nyi) (02/11/91)

Hi everybody,
I'm going to buy an IBM/AT compatible machine here, but I'd like to
use it in Europe, too. Unfortunately the electric system is different.
I know that there is no problem with the computer itself, because its
power supply is switchable, but what can I do with the monitor? I have
never heard about an SVGA monitor which has switchable power supply.
Of course I could transform the voltage of the european system to
110 volt, but also the frequency is different. Does this cause any
problem?
Does anybody have experience about this? I would very appreciate if
somebody could help me.
Thanks in advance.

Laci Ladanyi    (ladanyi@cs.cornell.edu)

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (02/12/91)

Laci Ladanyi    (ladanyi@cs.cornell.edu) writes:

> I'm going to buy an IBM/AT compatible machine here, but I'd like to
> use it in Europe, too. Unfortunately the electric system is different.

Yes, and different countries vary, but not enough to worry.  Most of the
Continent of Europe uses 220V 50Hz.  Britain uses 240V 50Hz.  Most devices
will work on either voltage - the supply tolerance is about +/- 15% anyway.

> I know that there is no problem with the computer itself, because its
> power supply is switchable, but what can I do with the monitor? I have
> never heard about an SVGA monitor which has switchable power supply.
> Of course I could transform the voltage of the european system to
> 110 volt, but also the frequency is different. Does this cause any
> problem?

It shouldn't matter, since the line frequency is not used by modern
high-performance monitors anyway (Closed Circuit monochrome TV may do,
but not EGA and upwards).  If the monitor voltage isn't switchable, an
auto-transformer for 240/220 to 110V should be fine.  Need to be quite
powerful (HEAVY!) though - probably about 100VA would be about right.

> Does anybody have experience about this? I would very appreciate if
> somebody could help me.

The monitor I am using now is an NEC Multisync (the original, before they
started numbering them, type number JC-1401P3EE), and the data plate
is marked: 220-240V  50/60Hz  78W.  Check the specifications before you
buy your monitor - that should enable you to decide what to do.

A couple of extra points:

1.  Mains plugs.  There is no standard plug & socket for mains
    electricity - most European countries are different from each other
    and they are all different from the US.  Bring a multi-way US socket
    strip on a lead and a collection of adaptors to plug it into the wall.
    If you need to wire a plug in Britain, the wiring colours are:
    Live (the one that would give you a shock!): Brown,
    Neutral (the normal return path for current): Blue,
    Earth ('Ground' - the safety path for fault current): Green/Yellow.
    British plugs have a fuse in them on the Live (or 'Line') pin.

2.  Customs.  Make sure you bring all paperwork with you, and find out
    beforehand how to import things on a temporary basis without paying
    import duty (if possible!).  Most countries are OK as long as you
    show that you are trying to comply with their rules, but be warned:
    British Customs & Excise officers are very keen, follow the rules
    to the letter, and have no sense of humour.  You could find yourself
    in the position of either having to pay import duty or having the
    goods 'seised in the name of the Crown'- as happened to an Aunt of
    mine when she casually said to a Customs officer that she was thinking
    of selling her (American) car in Britain, having 'temporarily imported'
    it.  (She got it back when she agreed to export it again).  So be
    careful, and find out the rules and procedures well before you arrive.

Having said all this, have you considered buying the monitor when you get
here ?  I don't know about prices in other European countries, but in
England an NEC 3D can be found for about 425 pounds sterling (including
15% VAT - a sort of sales tax).  Cheaper SVGAs can be found for about 300
pounds if you know where to look (Computer Shopper advertisments!).  This
implies that you don't want to take it back, otherwise the voltage problem
arises when you get home, of course.

I hope some of this is useful - have a nice trip!

Regards,
Howard.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not
--------

jtt@tct.uucp (John Tombs) (02/13/91)

In article <51869@cornell.UUCP> ladanyi@cs.cornell.edu (La'szlo' Lada'nyi) writes:
>... what can I do with the monitor? I have
>never heard about an SVGA monitor which has switchable power supply.

I bought a CTX SVGA monitor, at the lower end of the price range, with
similar considerations in mind. The manual says the power voltage is
switchable 120/200 internally, but I haven't taken the cover off to look
yet.

--
John Tombs at Teltronics/TCT             <jtt@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!jtt>

acunger@netmbx.UUCP (Arnie Unger) (02/14/91)

ladanyi@parvati.cs.cornell.edu (La'szlo' Lada'nyi) writes:

>Hi everybody,
>I'm going to buy an IBM/AT compatible machine here, but I'd like to
>use it in Europe, too. Unfortunately the electric system is different.
>I know that there is no problem with the computer itself, because its
>power supply is switchable, but what can I do with the monitor? I have
>never heard about an SVGA monitor which has switchable power supply.
>Of course I could transform the voltage of the european system to
>110 volt, but also the frequency is different. Does this cause any
>problem?
>Does anybody have experience about this? I would very appreciate if
>somebody could help me.
>Thanks in advance.

>Laci Ladanyi    (ladanyi@cs.cornell.edu)

No problem running your system in Europe.  I'm a GI that bought a
True Blue in the States and dragged it to Germany.  I am using a
300 watt transformer to run a Model 50, Color monitor, printer,
modem and complete stereo system.  Very often I have everything
running together.  The 50 only has a 65 watt requirement, so
that may be why.  Anyhow, I decided not to open 'er up and tinker, but just
to use a transformer.  Should be about $30 or so at Radio Shack,
or look for a GI (like me) to sell it to ya.  You can have
mine in May for $20 plus shipping.  I also have a 100 watter for
radios and stuff for half that. This wasn't intended as a sales
pitch, but to inform.  No problem running a US system via transformer.

Arnie Unger (acunger@netmbx.UUCP)
"Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple
and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Subtle Plans Are
Here Again'." - Black Adder