[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Running a PC from a dumb terminal?

derykm@oz.plymouth.edu (Dez) (02/11/91)

I have a situation.  I have an IBM pc AT that has a dumb terminal
hooked to the COM1 port.  I want to run the PC, in a single user mode,
from the dumb terminal which has a keyboard hooked up to it.  Therefore,
I should have the option of running the PC from the terminal or the
PC itself.

It is something like Carbon Copy, but there is only one PC and the other
is just a terminal.

Is it possible to take the input from the terminal, through com1, and
use the program on the PC.  The program that will run on the PC is written
and compiled in dbase iv.

I hoped I explained the situation as best as possible.

BTW.. I am using dos 3.30 and the pc is an IBM AT.

thanks,

deryk

  \      ...Deryk C. Marien                                            /
   \     .  Plymouth State College, Business Department               /
   /     .  UUCP: derykm@oz.plymouth.edu or                           \
  /      .        dcm@unhd.unh.edu                                     \
 /..........BITNET: DERYKM@PSC..........................................\
  \      ...Deryk C. Marien                                            /
   \     .  Plymouth State College, Business Department               /
    >----.  Plymouth, NH  03264 -------------------------------------<

AVP100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/12/91)

Derek,
     Use a communication program (Telix, Procomm+, etc..) and set your pc as a
host.  You will be able to access your pc from the terminal.  You can set the l
ine baud at 19.2k if you're using a null-modem.(higher baud rate requires shiel
ded null-modem cables)  Other than that, I don't know how you can run ANYTHING
on a *dumb* terminal.

                                              A.P.

shevett@mccc.edu (Dave Shevett) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.113340.11377@oz.plymouth.edu> derykm@oz.plymouth.edu.plymouth.edu (Dez) writes:
=I have a situation.  I have an IBM pc AT that has a dumb terminal
=hooked to the COM1 port.  I want to run the PC, in a single user mode,
=from the dumb terminal which has a keyboard hooked up to it.  Therefore,
=I should have the option of running the PC from the terminal or the
=PC itself.

In it's most simplest form, you could always use 'ctty' to change the
console to the COM port.  However, this is only good for raw COMMAND.COM
functions, and some dopey applications that do not do direct screen writes.

=It is something like Carbon Copy, but there is only one PC and the other
=is just a terminal.

We use Carbon Copy religiously here (not the college, at my OTHER job), and
it's a great time saver...

=Is it possible to take the input from the terminal, through com1, and
=use the program on the PC.  The program that will run on the PC is written
=and compiled in dbase iv.

There's the rub.  dBase IV I'm SURE does direct screen writes, so ctty
certainly won't work.

I don't know of any application that'll do what you want, short of
something like PC/MOS or vm/386, but both require a '386 (hmmm, didn't I
read something about PC/MOS available for '286?  Hmmm again) - I can't
recommend PC/MOS - I've had nothing but problems with it, but vm/386 is
supposed to be a lot cleaner.  They both support 'dumb' terminals on serial
ports.

However, it budget is a constriction, or you don't have a '386, dig around
for a dopey 4.77mghz PC, get Carbon Copy, and run a direct serial line from
the PC to your AT.  I've done this and run things like Norton Disk Doctor
remotely (about 10 feet away), and it works mighty well.

=
=deryk
=

+-------------------+---------------------------------+--------------------+
| Dave Shevett      | UnixPC BOF, TCF'91, Apr 20,21st |  Labyrinth II BBS  |
| Lawrenceville, NJ +---------------------------------+   (609) 584-8774   |
| shevett@mccc.EDU  | Zounds!  A gorkon death station |   PubUnix/Waffle   |
+-------------------+ approaches!  Evasive action!    |--------------------+
                    +---------------------------------+

jporter@twaddle.dell.com (Jeff Porter) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb11.113340.11377@oz.plymouth.edu>, derykm@oz.plymouth.edu (Dez) writes:
|> I have a situation.  I have an IBM pc AT that has a dumb terminal
|> hooked to the COM1 port.  I want to run the PC, in a single user mode,
|> from the dumb terminal which has a keyboard hooked up to it.  Therefore,
|> I should have the option of running the PC from the terminal or the
|> PC itself.
|>
|> It is something like Carbon Copy, but there is only one PC and the other
|> is just a terminal.
|>
|> Is it possible to take the input from the terminal, through com1, and
|> use the program on the PC.  The program that will run on the PC is written
|> and compiled in dbase iv.

The CTTY dev command can be used in some limited situations.  It will
redirect the standard input and standard output to the specified device.
If the application writes directly to the screen or even uses BIOS calls
to write to the screen, it won't be possible to direct I/O to a dumb
terminal (under DOS).

Jeff Porter
Dell Computer Corp.

jtt@tct.uucp (John Tombs) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.113340.11377@oz.plymouth.edu> derykm@oz.plymouth.edu.plymouth.edu (Dez) writes:

>Is it possible to take the input from the terminal, through com1, and
>use the program on the PC.  The program that will run on the PC is written
>and compiled in dbase iv.
>
>    >----.  Plymouth, NH  03264 -------------------------------------<

Have you tried "ctty com1:" ?

--
John Tombs at Teltronics/TCT             <jtt@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!jtt>

jamaass@bluemoon.uucp (Jeffrey A. Maass) (02/14/91)

derykm@oz.plymouth.edu (Dez) writes:

> I have a situation.  I have an IBM pc AT that has a dumb terminal
> hooked to the COM1 port.  I want to run the PC, in a single user mode,
> PC itself.
> It is something like Carbon Copy, but there is only one PC and the other

No sweat! Abandon the brain-dead DOS and buy a copy of QNX. Connect the
terminal, and type "Ctrl-Z".  Done.
send

morris@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Ted Morris) (02/14/91)

You can also try pcAnywhere from DMA.  It normally expects to talk to
it's (included) companion product on another pc (ATERM.EXE) but will
accept VT100 by making a menu change.  I've even dialed in from my
MacIIsi from home to access my office Compaq this way (using VT100
emulator on the Mac; DMA also makes an "ATERM" for the Mac called
pcMacTerm).

Setting the program up for direct connect vs. modem connect is also just
a menu change.

Good Luck!

Theodore Allan Morris, U. Cincinnati, Med Ctr Info & Comm, Info Rsrch
& Dev, 231 Bethesda Av, ML#574, Cinti, OH  45267-0574, 513-558-6046V,
513-558-0758F, MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU / MORRISTA@UCUNIX.SAN.UC.EDU,
NTS WB8VNV, AppleLink U1091 | Call me up and I'll talk data to ya!