[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Testing Panasonic 1124 Buffer

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (01/24/91)

I just installed the 32K buffer RAM chip in my 1124.  Is there a way to test
that it is recognized by the printer and actually working?  Thanks.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (01/24/91)

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>--
>
>Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

Please post.  I would like to know also.  I did the upgrade on a KXP-1524
and would like to find out how to test it.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (02/15/91)

>>I just installed the 32K buffer RAM chip in my 1124.  Is there a way to test
>>that it is recognized by the printer and actually working?  Thanks.

>Please post.  I would like to know also.  I did the upgrade on a KXP-1524
>and would like to find out how to test it.

Two ways come to mind.  Firstly, with only the default (8k?) buffer, there
is NOT enough memory to hold a single line of hi-res 360 dpi 24 pin graphics.
If you can print out a whole line of graphics in a single pass, then
whammo it's working.

Second, dump a large text file to the printer and see how long it takes for
the printing to stop after you disconnect the cable ;-)

--
Guy Lemieux          ENG SCI                          University of Toronto
guy@contact.uucp      9 T 2      Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering