[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Add an extra HD to Compaq Deskpro 386s?

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/14/91)

Anybody know how to do that?  I opened up the computer and the
built-into motherboard controller has a cable that has only
connector to 1 HD (which is currently used).

raymond@buster.cps.msu.edu (Carl J Raymond) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.050240.22206@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>Anybody know how to do that?  I opened up the computer and the
>built-into motherboard controller has a cable that has only
>connector to 1 HD (which is currently used).

  We just tried to do this where I work, and it was much more trouble
than we expected.  The drive bays inside the Compaq are not standard;
even though we were able to get another 40Mb drive hooked up and
running, we couldn't figure any good way to mount the new drive without
finding or making some special brackets to hold it in the 1/2-height
bay.
  In the end, we were fortunate enough to find someone who would
trade us one 80-meg IDE for our two 40-meg drives.  But there's more --
the Conner drive that comes with the machine is a special one with the
circuit board on top.  Most other drives have the board on the bottom.
To make the new drive fit without mounting it upside down, we had to
make an additional cutout in the drive bay.
  As a final note, the Compaq 386s does not have an entry in its
hard drive table for any 80Mb drives.  We fooled it with Ontrack's
Disk Manager.  The 80Mb drive is partitioned into two 40Mb drives,
which is what we wanted in the first place.
  To summarize, yes, you can add another drive, if you can find some
way to mount it.  But, if you can afford to, its easier to replace the
original drive with a larger drive.  Just don't mount it upside down.

Carl Raymond
raymond@buster.cps.msu.edu