[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] CMS 60/120MB tape drives

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/12/91)

This is a candidate for a FAQ if there ever was one:

    I am interested in the CMS 60MB tape drive (120MB w/compression)
    and am wondering:

    A.  Since I have two floppies hooked up to an RLL controller right now,
        do I need the external drive or do I need the special controller
        card?
    B.  What are the benefits of the external drive?  I heard that they are
        faster.
    C.  Is the CMS 60MB any good?
    D.  Will it conflict with an IDE controller/disk (Conner CPD3204)?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (02/12/91)

>    I am interested in the CMS 60MB tape drive (120MB w/compression)
>    and am wondering:

>    A.  Since I have two floppies hooked up to an RLL controller right now,
>        do I need the external drive or do I need the special controller
>        card?

No.  I repeat NO!  All you need is the cable CMS makes for their tape drives.
It is a cable with 3 heads.  1 A drive, and 2 B drive.  The tape drive shares
the B drive designation with a floppy with NO problems.  The Tape and floppy
use two mutually exclusive sets of lines on the cable.

>    B.  What are the benefits of the external drive?  I heard that they are
>        faster.

The only benefit would be from the controller board which is necessary for
the external model.  The CMS made controller operates at 1 Mbit per second.
Twice that of a floppy controller.  However, I find the floppy interface to
be plenty fast.  Yielding backup speeds of about 3.6 Megabytes pe minute when
I use a program with compression.  Thats about 11 minutes for a 40 MB
hard disk.
Not too shabby, considering you can start it and walk away.

>    C.  Is the CMS 60MB any good?

I have had one now for 4 months.  No problems.  I've done about 50-60 backups
with it.  I love this thing.

>    D.  Will it conflict with an IDE controller/disk (Conner CPD3204)?

That depends on what you mean by "it"?  If you go with the special cable that
connects to the floppy controller, the answer is no.  This configuration is
about as passive as can be.  BUT if you go with the tape adapter board
(which I hope you realize now is a waste) it may not conflict with the IDE
controller but with something else.  You must designate a free interupt
(IRQ) for this beast.  I don't know about you, but I don't have one to spare.

I would also like to add...

      E.  How about Price?

The CMS Drives are about the least expensive ones out there.  But they offer
all of the features of more expensive drives.

      F.  Software?

Many backup programs will recognize and use the CMS drive directly.  I use
Central Point Backup with mine and it works like a charm.  You don't need
any drivers or TSRs.

I hope this helps.  Mail me if anyone has any more questions.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

P.S. I am in no way associated with CMS, just a happy customer.

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (02/13/91)

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>    I am interested in the CMS 60MB tape drive (120MB w/compression)
>    and am wondering:
>
>    A.  Since I have two floppies hooked up to an RLL controller right now,
>        do I need the external drive or do I need the special controller
>        card?

My CMS DJ10 is hooked to a DTC (7820 or 7280 or some such) RLL
hard/floppy disk controller with two floppies in my 386-20 clone.
(The RLL refers only to the hard disk.)  You need firmware vers. 40 or
later on the tape drive (some folks say that firmware vers. 39 works,
too) to hook it to a two-floppy controller with two floppies.  You do
need a floppy cable with 3 connectors (of course) -- I added a third
connectory to mine pressing it on with pump pliers!

>    B.  What are the benefits of the external drive?  I heard that they are
>        faster.

My CMS is an internal drive, so can't answer this one.

>    C.  Is the CMS 60MB any good?

Yeah!  I like it; lots of folks on Prodigy seem to like it, too.
Supporters vastly outnumber detracters.

>    D.  Will it conflict with an IDE controller/disk (Conner CPD3204)?

I don't know.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (Mike Ebsen) (02/13/91)

I love your review of the CMS tape archive unit.  Could you also comment
on any possibility of writing UNIX tar tapes directly from the MS-DOS
shell.  I would like to backup files on my home PC and read the TAR tape
at work on my favorite workstation (like SUN, MIPS, Apollo...).  Thank you.

mpe@shamash.cdc.com
:x

lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) (02/13/91)

I have had a CMS 60/120 for over two an a half years now, and have had
no problems with it at all.  I do have some comments reguarding this idea
that a simple three connector cable will allow you to use two floppies and
the CMS drive.  It will not.  There is no guarantee that this cable will
actually work in your system.  I have the card in my system, and not
only does it make transfer faster than the simple cable, but it eliminates
conflicts which occur with some hard drive controller cards (such as
Perstor ARLL) - the card doesn't cost that much in addition, and if
ordered with the external kit, will allow you to move your CMS drive to
another system easily.

As for the transfer rate, I get 2.5 meg on long backups/restores of 20 megs
or more on a tape with no other archives (longer time if others exist).
I do not use the compression, since it's slower, creates more wear'n'tear on
the dc2000 tapes, and most of the bigger blocks of my files are for my bbs
archives (or similar) and they are zipped anyway (which is better compression).

I like the drive.  It has made collection files very easy, and get rid of
piles of disks from my computer area.  the only drawback it has now
is that I need a drive with bigger capacity and faster throughput to backup
my larger drives.

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (02/13/91)

In article <26853@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>    I am interested in the CMS 60MB tape drive (120MB w/compression)
>    and am wondering:
>
>    A.  Since I have two floppies hooked up to an RLL controller right now,
>        do I need the external drive or do I need the special controller
>        card?

The drives being sold now by CMS will work on a dual controller with two
floppy drives.  Some kind of magic with handshaking, I imagine.  All you need
is a floppy cable with _three_ connectors.

>    B.  What are the benefits of the external drive?  I heard that they are
>        faster.

Using the tape adaptor board gives you better throughput.  The adapter board
is required for the external drive so yes, it's faster.  The internal drive
will also run faster with the adapter board.

>    C.  Is the CMS 60MB any good?

I use it, and I'm satisfied.  There are other drives which are faster, have
greater capacity, etc.  But they aren't in the CMS price range.  For me,
"Jumbo" is just fine.

>    D.  Will it conflict with an IDE controller/disk (Conner CPD3204)?

Probably not.  The only conflict I know of is the Seagate ST01/2 controller.
The drive will work with these, however you have to turn off "concurrent DMA"
which means that your backup times are much longer.  (Instead of streaming as
it should, the tape has to stop during disk accesses.  Then it needs to re-
sync in order to write the data.  Yecch.)

--
I have no connection with CMS.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

nee@cf_su14.Sbi.Com (Robert Nee) (02/13/91)

> I love your review of the CMS tape archive unit.  Could you also comment
> on any possibility of writing UNIX tar tapes directly from the MS-DOS
> shell.  I would like to backup files on my home PC and read the TAR tape
> at work on my favorite workstation (like SUN, MIPS, Apollo...).  Thank you.

I know that CMS markets drivers for Unix and Xenix machines.  This would
allow you to use TAR with the CMS tape drives under unix/xenix.  I don't
know if they offer something similar for MS-DOS but I will look and post
if I find something.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (02/13/91)

> I do have some comments reguarding this idea
> that a simple three connector cable will allow you to use two floppies and
> the CMS drive.  It will not.  There is no guarantee that this cable will
> actually work in your system.  I have the card in my system, and not
> only does it make transfer faster than the simple cable, but it eliminates
> conflicts which occur with some hard drive controller cards (such as
> Perstor ARLL) - the card doesn't cost that much in addition, and if

Perhaps Mr. Laird knows something I do not.  I have installed 5 or 6 of these
CMS tape drives using the three headed cable.  They have gone into various
systems, with various controllers:
    *	MFM
    *	ESDI
    *	IDE (on board and on adapter)

Since this cable is only connected to the floppy drive interface the type
of hard disk should not matter.  In fact, one reason I went with the three
headed cable was that the interface board would NOT work with my computer.
Due to an interupt conflict I was "forced" into this much more elegant
solution.  The three headed cable DOES work.  As far as guarantees, I was
given one by the dealer who sold me my first drive.  Needless to say I
have never had to take him up on it.

> As for the transfer rate, I get 2.5 meg on long backups/restores of 20 megs

Mr. Lairds transfer rates seem surprisingly low.  Considering he uses the
"faster" adapter board.  I get transfer rates of 3.6 MB per minute on 80 meg
backups using Central Point Backup and compression.  HMMMMM.

Don't knock until/unless you've tried it.

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (Mike Ebsen) writes:
>I love your review of the CMS tape archive unit.  Could you also comment
>on any possibility of writing UNIX tar tapes directly from the MS-DOS
>shell.  I would like to backup files on my home PC and read the TAR tape
>at work on my favorite workstation (like SUN, MIPS, Apollo...).  Thank you.

Thanks for the complement...the CMS DJ10 uses the small format (2"x3")
tape cartridges - I can't remember the official QIC designation.  I
don't know whether this tape format is used on workstations; all I've
seen used is the larger format (4"x5") QIC-24.  A call to CMS may get
you the answer - their #:  voice:(303)669-8000  fax:(303)667-0921
They are located in Loveland, Colorado.
--

lairdt@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tom Laird) (02/14/91)

>solution.  The three headed cable DOES work.  As far as guarantees, I was
>given one by the dealer who sold me my first drive.  Needless to say I
>have never had to take him up on it.
>
>> As for the transfer rate, I get 2.5 meg on long backups/restores of 20 megs
>
>Mr. Lairds transfer rates seem surprisingly low.  Considering he uses the
>"faster" adapter board.  I get transfer rates of 3.6 MB per minute on 80 meg
>backups using Central Point Backup and compression.  HMMMMM.
>
>Don't knock until/unless you've tried it.
>
>Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>

I did state that I do not use compression, so your figure of 3.6MB per minute
doesn't contradict my 2.5MB speed.  As for the useage of the board, since there
are more generic clones now than there were even last month, every system is
different.  I know that when I tried the supposed cheap fix of the cable, that
it wouldn't work on my 386-33 w/10mhz bus.  I have never used Central
Points backup program, but I have tried to use it.  I found that it wouldn't
correctly finish then end of a backup when running on my system, so I've
only used the supplied tape backup program.

I would be interested in talking with someone who has a CMS 150/250 drive,
since they are supposed to be able to read 40/120 tapes.  Any luck in that area?

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (02/14/91)

In article <26853@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
<
<    I am interested in the CMS 60MB tape drive (120MB w/compression)
<    and am wondering:
<
<    A.  Since I have two floppies hooked up to an RLL controller right now,
<        do I need the external drive or do I need the special controller
<        card?

I have two floppies and a PERSTOR controller (and previously an MFM controller)
and I DO require the special card.  Also, I found the drive got too hot and
ruined tapes when mounted internally.  I suppose my two hard drives might have
contributed to this some..  Get the external kit with board from Hard Drives
International.. really cheap pricing there.

Don't put much faith into the "120MB" with compression.  I seldom got better
than 15% (but I have lots of ZIP files).  I now use PCTOOLS 6.0 with the tape
drive instead of the supplied software.  Much better.  Also gets 20% compression
instead of 15%.

<    B.  What are the benefits of the external drive?  I heard that they are
<        faster.

Nope.  Not unless you have a slow system (non-386) or perhaps maybe if you
buy the expensive card with the data compression chip (I wouldn't).

<    C.  Is the CMS 60MB any good?

Yes.  Much better than floppies, anyway.  I have not used other tape drives.

--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (02/14/91)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) writes:
>I have two floppies and a PERSTOR controller (and previously an MFM controller)
>and I DO require the special card....

As I mentioned in my first post on this thread, FIRMWARE VERSION 40 OR
LATER (some say 39 or later) eliminates the requirement for the
special adapter card.  I believe that is a late 1990 release by CMS.

Would people who write in about this please list their firmware
version?  It gets awful confusing if you don't tell the whole story!
--

russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) (02/15/91)

In article <175@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>I get transfer rates of 3.6 MB per minute on 80 meg
>backups using Central Point Backup and compression.

I'd always heard that all the tape drives used proprietary formats and you
were stuck using only the manufacturer's backup program.  Is this changing?
Does CPBackup support many tape drives?  Do other backup programs do this?

--Russ

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (Mike Ebsen) (02/15/91)

I would like to know if any of the CMS products available today
support TAR style backups rather than using the product's internal
formats and backup shells/procedures.

Please help!!!

mpe@shamash.cdc.com

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (02/15/91)

> I'd always heard that all the tape drives used proprietary formats and you
> were stuck using only the manufacturer's backup program.  Is this changing?
> Does CPBackup support many tape drives?  Do other backup programs do this?

I can't speak for all backup programs but CP Backup does directly
support many manufacturer's tape drives.  I recall reading about support
for Mountain, Irwin and Colorado.  I would call them to find out if
they support the drives you are interested in. (503) 690-8090.

Robert F. Nee <nee@cf_su20.Sbi.Com>