[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Parallel Port != SCSI

beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) (02/13/91)

Although external SCSI ports are becoming more popular, there seems to
be a market niche for portable devices using the parallel port to
transfer data to laptops.  I've seen parallel port ethernet
adapters, modems, and even floppy drives.

How fast can you drive a parallel port?  I can understand fast data
output, but what about input from ethernet adapters?
** Has anyone seen a parallel port tape backup?  I would REALLY like one. **
-Pete  beckman@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.133416.5180@news.cs.indiana.edu>, beckman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Peter Beckman) writes:

> be a market niche for portable devices using the parallel port to
> transfer data to laptops.  I've seen parallel port ethernet
> adapters, modems, and even floppy drives.

> ** Has anyone seen a parallel port tape backup?  I would REALLY like one. **
> -Pete  beckman@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

Valitek, Inc.
Mountain Farms
Hadley,  MA 01035
USA

(413) 586-7408                  FAX: (413) 586-6790

offers a portable Streamer for the parallel port. The list price is about
1700 $.

------------------

Another interesting product is a Syquest555 with a parallel port from

Interpreter
11455 W. 48th Avenue
Wheat Ridge,  CO 80033
USA

(303) 431-8991                   FAX: (303) 431-9056

I myself would be interested in knowing about good offers from mail-order
warehouses. Has anybody seen that stuff for a decent price?

*  Universitas Basiliensis                                       InfoCenter  *

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (02/17/91)

Well, a company called Trantor has a SCSI adaptor that plugs ino ANY
parallel port.  It is sold for $179.  However, according to its salesman
I talked to, the data transfer is not fast.

Patrick