[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tape backup via parrallel port

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (02/16/91)

	I've seen a number of requests here for a tape backup that could be
easily moved from machine to machine and plug in to some standard port
like the parallel port.  Well, I just ran across an ad in Publish
Magazine for just such a device.

Mectel International, Inc
3385 Viso Court
Santa Clara, CA 95054
408-980-4709 or 800-248-0255

	It's called the Tapexchange 60TX

	Claims are 20 megs in 6-7 minutes with up to 60 meg on a tape.  It
comes in a box that looks a lot like a Hayes modem and has a handle on
it. The tapes pictured look like standard audio tapes .

	NOTE: I know NOTHING about this product or the company! I'm only
posting this because of the apparent interest in this type of device and
the lack of response by anyone about it. You should check it out fully
before you make any decisions based on what I've said here!!

	/s/	Bob Gettys

infocenter@urz.unibas.ch (02/16/91)

In article <20258@shlump.nac.dec.com>, gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) writes:

> 	I've seen a number of requests here for a tape backup that could be
> easily moved from machine to machine and plug in to some standard port
> like the parallel port.  Well, I just ran across an ad in Publish

> 	NOTE: I know NOTHING about this product or the company! I'm only
> posting this because of the apparent interest in this type of device and
> the lack of response by anyone about it. You should check it out fully
>
> 	/s/	Bob Gettys

you are right Bob,

there was not a lot of response on the net about this.
I sent some of the guys adresses for such backup devices. I hope they read this
message and will post a list of collected addresses they got by personal mail,
so every body gets that information.

bye ....................................................................  Didi

*  Universitas Basiliensis                                       InfoCenter  *

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (02/17/91)

In article <20258@shlump.nac.dec.com>
 gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) writes:
>	I've seen a number of requests here for a tape backup that could be
>easily moved from machine to machine and plug in to some standard port
>like the parallel port.  Well, I just ran across an ad in Publish
>Magazine for just such a device.
>
>Mectel International, Inc

Another supplier of these is:
     Valitek, Inc.
     Mountain Farms
     Hadley, MA 01035

     Voice: 1 (800) 825-4835
     FAX:   1 (413) 586-5790

     Serial or parallel, 60M $1695, 160M $1995, 200M $2295

Same disclaimer; I haven't tried one.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?