[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Rugged PCs

mark@hydroesm.UUCP (Mark Notten) (02/14/91)

1. Does anyone know of any rugged or MilSpec PC-type boxes
   (minimum 386) to be used for real-time applications?

2. Does anyone know of real-time kernels to run applications
   in protected mode on this type of box?

Thanks..

Mark & Marc.

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) (02/14/91)

In article <276@hydroesm.UUCP>, mark@hydroesm.UUCP (Mark Notten) writes:
|> 1. Does anyone know of any rugged or MilSpec PC-type boxes
|>    (minimum 386) to be used for real-time applications?

Grid makes very rugged portables including 386 models. We have one that
we have used for data collection in a vehicle while driving. This involved
heavy hard disk access while drive on Michigan's system of interconnected
potholes that they call roads.

I don't know about MILS-SPEC, but I do know that the DOD buys Grids
for military people to use while riding in jeeps, etc.

I would recommend them personally. They are well designed and
quite rugged compared to the plastic light-weight models from
the typical laptop vendor.

|> 2. Does anyone know of real-time kernels to run applications
|>    in protected mode on this type of box?

no help there.

	Bob Haar  InterNet : rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com
	Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

jamaass@bluemoon.uucp (Jeffrey A. Maass) (02/17/91)

rhaar@albert.cs.gmr.com (Robert L. Haar CS50) writes:

> |> 2. Does anyone know of real-time kernels to run applications
> |>    in protected mode on this type of box?

Look into QNX from Quantum Software Systems (613) 591-0931.
I've been running exclusively protected mode in 286, 386, and 486
processors for over three years now.

The realtime charactoristics are fantastic, too: put a QNX box
next to ANY other system, and just watch the difference!