[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] magnavox 386 pc

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (02/12/91)

Has any had any experience good/bad with a magnavox 386?  It looks like it
is actually made by phillips.

bruce

--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) (02/12/91)

In article <oneel.666294069@heawk1> oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
>Has any had any experience good/bad with a magnavox 386?  It looks like it
>is actually made by phillips.

This sounds pretty reasonable since magnavox is just a subsidiary of Phillips,
much as Panasonic and Technics are subsidaries of Matsushita in Japan.

Scott
--
                      Internet:  wilken@plains.nodak.edu
                         UUCP:  ..!uunet!plains!wilken

richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (02/13/91)

In article <8215@plains.NoDak.edu> wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) writes:
+In article <oneel.666294069@heawk1> oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
+>Has any had any experience good/bad with a magnavox 386?  It looks like it
+>is actually made by phillips.
+>
+
+This sounds pretty reasonable since magnavox is just a subsidiary of Phillips,
+much as Panasonic and Technics are subsidaries of Matsushita in Japan.
+

Small correction : Magnavox IS Philips (1 'l') in the USA, since they
can't (legally) use the Philips name there to due trademark problems.

+Scott
+--
+                      Internet:  wilken@plains.nodak.edu
+                         UUCP:  ..!uunet!plains!wilken
+                            Bitnet:  WILKEN@PLAINS

--
Richard Brosseau       uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!richardb
Theoretical Physicist,N.: A physicist whose existence is postulated,

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (02/15/91)

richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) writes:

>Small correction : Magnavox IS Philips (1 'l') in the USA, since they
>can't (legally) use the Philips name there to due trademark problems.

Some years ago I'd heard that Philips didn't market under its own name
in the US due to such trademark problems, but if that was ever indeed the
case it isn't any longer. Numerous audio dealers in the Washington, DC
area sell Philips branded audio and video products, even as other
retailers sell Magnavox branded electronics. N V Philips seems to
position the Phillips brand at the higher end of the market.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

danr@ais.org (Daniel Romanchik) (02/18/91)

In article <9320@cognos.UUCP> richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) writes:
>In article <8215@plains.NoDak.edu> wilken@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Wilken) writes:
>+In article <oneel.666294069@heawk1> oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
>+>Has any had any experience good/bad with a magnavox 386?  It looks like it
>+>is actually made by phillips.
>+>

I've been using a Magnavox 386 machine now for several months, and like
it.  The monitor is very readable, and the machine is FAST (at least
compared to my old XT-compatible  ;-)).

It seems to be pretty well-built.  It has a metal case, and things seem
to fit together nicely.  The keyboard is a little mushy, but you can
always replace that if you don't like it.

Have fun, Dan  (danr@irie.ais.org)