[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] lowlevel ide drive.

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (02/17/91)

i have tried a half dozen programs to llf a ide drive--all of them
pretend to llformat it, none of them really do.

also i am interested in adjusting the interleave.
there are a number of programs i have tried that pretend to adjust the
interleave too.
people say that this should not need to be done and its already 1:1.
it is not 1:1 on my drive. its 2:1. i would like to know how to adjust it
so i can make it best for whatever os i use.
it would be dumb if ide drives are stuck at 1:1 for a lot of people, because
they run os that can not keep up.

some people have reported destroying their ide drives via llformating.
apparently their programs were not just pretending to llformat; they must
really have been doing it. would one of those people email me a copy of
the program?

thankyou in advance.

gwoho liu.

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/18/91)

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>people say that this should not need to be done and its already 1:1.
>it is not 1:1 on my drive. its 2:1. i would like to know how to adjust it
>so i can make it best for whatever os i use.
>it would be dumb if ide drives are stuck at 1:1 for a lot of people, because
>they run os that can not keep up.

The OS shouldn't make any difference to the interleave, and vice versa.  As
I understand it, the real bottleneck on transferring data from the disk to
the computer is the bus.  The processor itself is usually going to be
faster than any of that already.

>some people have reported destroying their ide drives via llformating.
>apparently their programs were not just pretending to llformat; they must
>really have been doing it. would one of those people email me a copy of
>the program?

Let me get this straight.  You're ASKING someone to send you a copy of the
program which rendered their IDE drive USELESS, so you can try it too?!  On
the face of it, it sounds insane.

What sort of data transfer rate are you getting?  I mean, as tested by a
program like CheckIt or something.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu

gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) (02/18/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware you write:

>gwoho@nntp-server.caltech.edu (g liu) writes:
>>people say that this should not need to be done and its already 1:1.
>>it is not 1:1 on my drive. its 2:1. i would like to know how to adjust it
>>so i can make it best for whatever os i use.
>>it would be dumb if ide drives are stuck at 1:1 for a lot of people, because
>>they run os that can not keep up.

>The OS shouldn't make any difference to the interleave, and vice versa.  As
>I understand it, the real bottleneck on transferring data from the disk to
>the computer is the bus.  The processor itself is usually going to be
>faster than any of that already.

this depends on what machine you have. my drive has 34 sectors/track,
spins at 60/sec so at 1:1, it sends about 1m/sec.
my card wount do dma, so the 286 has to get the data itself.
the 286 does a rep movs to get the data. that takes 4 cycles/byte.
so, at 6mhz, the cpu is spending most of its time moving data. it has
no time to do any processing to get ready to recieve the next
sector by the time it comes around. some oss use more time than
others, so 1:1 wont work for some oss.

>>some people have reported destroying their ide drives via llformating.
>>apparently their programs were not just pretending to llformat; they must
>>really have been doing it. would one of those people email me a copy of
>>the program?

>Let me get this straight.  You're ASKING someone to send you a copy of the
>program which rendered their IDE drive USELESS, so you can try it too?!  On
>the face of it, it sounds insane.

>What sort of data transfer rate are you getting?  I mean, as tested by a
>program like CheckIt or something.

it messed up their drive--i dont think it will mess up mine. i believe
they have to send the right information to the drive to get it to
substitute the right blocks to make it work right. for example,
to get my scsi drive to work well, i had to send it the following bytes:
4 16 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 129.
i am willing to mess with the drive, sending it random codes to make it work.
its not as hard as it may seem.

mso@media01.UUCP (Manfred Sonsma) (02/18/91)

> [deleted]
> What sort of data transfer rate are you getting?  I mean, as tested by a
> program like CheckIt or something.

  I have 'low level' formatted my Quantum Prodrive 115AT several times with
  the FORMAT option of the AMI bios diagnostic menu and with Zenith's PREP
  utility. The AMI bios does a check for the best interleave factor by
  checking the transfer rate for each factor starting with an interleave 1:1.
  The first time I run it selected 1:3. The second time it decided to use
  an interleave of 1:1. However the transfer rate did remain the same.
  About 759 Kb/s.

  Tested with CORETEST I get the following transfer rates:

       801 Kb/Sec   with 64 Kb blocks
      1134 Kb/Sec   with 32 Kb blocks. ( The maximum  )

  Checkit returns a lower value:

       563 Kb/Sec   with 130 Kb blocks.

  [That's way I love CORETEST]

  The problem is that I don't known the transfer rate before the format.

  Does anyone ???

  Furthermore, does any one know how to program the Quantum drive. I have
  read somewhere that you can program the cache strategy used by the drive.

Manfred.

                      *
Me     __________(_)  - - -  Manfred Sonsma - - - ||___)         { o__o }
Bug     ___)                Mediasystemen B.V.                +- /  Me  \ -+
Buster ___)                 mso@media01.UUCP                  +-|  Bug   |-+
-\________)      Tel: +31-23-319075 / Fax: +31-23-315210       +-\ _____/-+

 ->  The Nobel price for he/she who brings CED to the UNIX command line. <-