[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Using SCSI to comunicate between computers

scholten@esseye.UUCP (David Scholten) (02/16/91)

Is it possible to use SCSI to communicate between computers?  I was
thinking about connecting a VAX3100 to a pc using this port.  Can it
be done?  Has anyone ever done it?  Is there any software available
to do this?  Any information will be appreciated.  Please send email,
and I'll summarize to the net.

Thank you,
Dave Scholten

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb15.183814.11247@esseye.UUCP> scholten@esseye.UUCP (David Scholten) writes:
>Is it possible to use SCSI to communicate between computers?  I was
>thinking about connecting a VAX3100 to a pc using this port.  Can it
>be done?  Has anyone ever done it?  Is there any software available
>to do this?  Any information will be appreciated.  Please send email,
>and I'll summarize to the net.

Yes it is possible.  There is a SCSI device type for "processors".
I don't know if anyone has done it, but the big problem will be linking
with the low level driver.  Every system has a different interface (until
something like CAM catches on), and if your lucky it's documented well
enough for you to write a communications driver on top of it.  If your
really lucky, someone already has done this for both machines your interested
in.

Gerry Gleason