[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Northgate ?

alexw@cyclops.intel.com (Alex Witkowski) (02/20/91)

I am currently planning on purchasing a 80386 33MHz computer or even a
80486, if the price is right.  I would like to spend about $3500.  The
biggest concern I have is compatibility of the design with hardware/software,
performance and reputation of the company, in that order.

The Northgate 80386 33Mhz Slimline system seems like a great deal.  For
$3600, you get 4MB RAM, 100MB hard disk, 1024x768 color monitor as well as
an excellent keyboard (from what I am told).  Any comments on their systems
in general or this one in particular ?  Although I would like the tower
case (in the Elegance series) to get the CPU off the desk, I do not think
the $500 or so extra is justified as I don't think I need the extra expansion
capability.  The slimline has 1-3.5"/1-5.25"/1HD/3-16bit slots/2-8bit slots.
Am I being short sighted ?

Any recommendations of other systems ?  I know I could get an 80486 system for
this price from other companies, does anyone have any feedback on such
systems ?  I would be willing to pay up to about $4K for a 80486.  How is the
GATEWAY 2000 system ?

ALex

Alex Witkowski
Intel Corporation     internet: alexw@t12sys.intel.com
Santa Clara, CA 95051 uucp:     ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!t12sys!alexw

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (02/21/91)

In article <2613@inews.intel.com> alexw@cyclops.intel.com (Alex Witkowski) writes:
>I am currently planning on purchasing a 80386 33MHz computer or even a
>80486, if the price is right.  I would like to spend about $3500.  The
>biggest concern I have is compatibility of the design with hardware/software,
>performance and reputation of the company, in that order.

  I purchased a 33MHz 386 from Northgate about 4 months ago and am extremely
happy with it. I purchased it through an outlet store here in MN. I got the
system, tower case, 100MB IDE, s/w (DOS 4.01 & Windows 3.0) and mouse for
about $3300. No monitor or card (already had those).

  Give Howard Kaplan (Sales rep) a call at 1-612-898-1700 and see what he
can do four you.

* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55378                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (02/21/91)

You will almost certainly want:

	1 3.5" floppy (available in slimline)
	1 5.25" floppy (available in slimline)
	2 HD (so you won't have to throw away the
		original when you need more space. -- no
		space available in slimline.)
	1 tape drive for your new, bigger disk -- no space
		available in a slimline

And, you may also want
	1 cd -- no space available in slimline

Whether or not you're being shortsighted depends on what you wind up doing
in the next 24 months. Now, I admit that I have one, a DELL 220 (20MHz
286) that I bought in 1988. I'm giving it to my wife for an
order entry machine for her business as it's far too small for the kind
of publishing that I do now. If you don't have someone to give a slimline to
when you outgrow it, you're probably being shortsighted. If you have kids
in grade school, you can probably give it to them.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language
	is to cast spells on other people ..."
					Lisa S Chabot

sasst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Scott A Snowiss) (02/21/91)

Just a quick bit on Northgate.  Almost 2 years ago now, I purchased a
80386 from Northgate.  It has given me flawless service for the whole
time I have had it.  I did have a problem with the hard drive once, and
they Federal Expressed me a new one the next day.  You can beat that.
The technical staff is very knowledgable.  All I can say is that my next
computer will probably be a Northgate.
Enjoy your new computer.
		Scott

jham@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (John Ham) (02/21/91)

Ok, second effort.  Don't you just love 'rn'...
I have a Northgate 386-20mhz pipeline page mode machine (AMI bios) and
it has run every commercial program and every PD program I have tried.
I have to say their tech support is great!  I bought a tape drive and
they talked me through the installation even though they didn't make
any money on it (their peripheral prices after the sale are high...).
My machine is a full size case - I wonder about the heat dissapation
capability of any small case, although I'm sure Northgate's are as
good as the rest.  With less volume of air inside where will the heat
go?  If they've got a BIG fan I guess the air could circulate well enough,
but  I suggest you get a full size system, not a miniature one.
jham@cs.umr.edu