[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Tape Backup on Floppy Controller - HELP!

mcl9337@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) (02/22/91)

I have acquired a CMS tape backup with some extremely shoddy installation
documentation.  This unit is meant to run off the floppy controller.  It
is internal.

The question is... how do you get it to work with two floppies installed.
The documentation acts like you only could be expected to have ONE WHOLE
FLOPPY on your system.  They go so far as to have the tape drive use the
drive B: lines.  This is dipswitch selectable, of course... it can be
A, B, C, D, X or something else... of course I have A, B, C, and D used
up.  It didn't find it when set as X.  And the last setting, the "something
else"... it didn't see it then either!

I have constructed a three connector cable for this.  Is there something I
need to do with terminating resistors on the other drives or what?  The
hardware documentation for the tape drive isn't even for the same model, so
it is beneath useless!  Also, as I said, it assumes you only have one floppy.

The drive DOES work... when I disconnect drive B: and put that connector on
the tape drive, and then tell setup there is no drive B:.  But let's be
realistic here!!

This is a 386 AT compatible with Phoenix BIOS.  My floppies are run from
an IDE/floppy adapter.  If anyone can help, PLEASE let me know.  I will
supply any other information you may need.  The tape drive is referred to
as the T-60 in the documentation.  It is also referred to as the T260-R5AEP.
This is on the side of the drive.

Many thanks for any help!

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

bob@consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) (02/22/91)

In article <@helios.TAMU.EDU> mc@aim1.tamu.edu (MARK CHRISTOPHER LOWE) writes:
>I have acquired a CMS tape backup with some extremely shoddy installation
>documentation.  This unit is meant to run off the floppy controller.  It
>The question is... how do you get it to work with two floppies installed.
>The documentation acts like you only could be expected to have ONE WHOLE
>FLOPPY on your system.  They go so far as to have the tape drive use the
>an IDE/floppy adapter.  If anyone can help, PLEASE let me know.  I will

Yes the CMS 60 works on the floppy controller of an IDE unit with only one
floppy.  The limitation is NOT with the tape drive but rather your controller.
It can only support two floppies.

Option 1:  Get an IDE controller that can support more than two drives.
  We have used the Wonder Systems IDE controller that supports 2 HD &
  4 FDD in any combinations.  Works real nice.
Option 2:  CMS makes several controller units for the CMS 60 that work
  very nicely and give excellent speed results.
  AB10 is the low end adaptor card retail $89.95
  FC-10 is the adaptor which drives the transfer at between 500kb and 1MB
     Retails for $129.95
  TC-15 has data compression built into card and retails $ 299.95

Hope this helps.