[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA monitor problems

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (02/21/91)

I have a NEC Multisync 2A which I use with a Video 7 Fastwrite VGA.
When I try to run the monitor in 800x600 mode as well as some other
hi-res modes (740x560 or something like that) my display suddenly
shrinks and is no longer centered.  I then have to manually adjust the
size and position of the display and even then I can't always expand
it to occupy the whole screen.

Moreover, when the monitor is in 800x600 mode the display seems to
wobble, as if ocean waves where moving though it.  This effect is
especially evident when a cross-hatch pattern (one dot on, on dot off)
is displayed on the screen.

Are these problems due to a defective sync chip in my monitor?  And if
they are, is there an easy/inexpensive way to fix it?

Thanks,
 -Mike.
--
 --Mike

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/21/91)

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) writes:

>I have a NEC Multisync 2A which I use with a Video 7 Fastwrite VGA.
>When I try to run the monitor in 800x600 mode as well as some other
>hi-res modes (740x560 or something like that) my display suddenly
>shrinks and is no longer centered.  I then have to manually adjust the
>size and position of the display and even then I can't always expand
>it to occupy the whole screen.

This is normal.  When switching from a standardized resolution
(640x480 or lower) to higher resolution you will need to recenter
the picture.  Some monitors do a better job of centering these
higher solutions, and some don't.  I used the NEC 2A for a couple
weeks over Christmas and I was always fiddling with the knobs to
center the picture as I changed to 800x600 and back again.

A few really nice monitors have extra circuitry which will "remember"
a particular resolution and automatically place it on the screen in
the manner in which you have programmed it.  Among these monitors
are included the NEC 4D and the new Nanao 9080i (both sell for at
least $900 too!).

>Moreover, when the monitor is in 800x600 mode the display seems to
>wobble, as if ocean waves where moving though it.  This effect is
>especially evident when a cross-hatch pattern (one dot on, on dot off)
>is displayed on the screen.

I did not have this problem when I used the NEC 2A.  This sounds
like you have a fairly cheap video card which is using an interlaced
operation at 800x600.  If these "waves" are "flickers" then you
have a card which runs interlaced in SVGA.  Check the documentation
on your video card.

>Are these problems due to a defective sync chip in my monitor?  And if
>they are, is there an easy/inexpensive way to fix it?

I doubt if anything is broken or defective.  If these problems have
been with you from the beginning then they are probably due to your
video hardware being pushed to the limit; you'll just have to live
with them, or upgrade.

> -Mike.

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (02/22/91)

On the subject of adjusting the picture in super-VGA modes:
I have an NEC Multisync (the original, before they started numbering them)
and driving it with an Orchid Pro-designer II I find not only size of
picture has to be adjusted, but vertical-hold also.  This is needed
when switching to and from 800xwhatever mode (1024x mode is a non-
starter altogether).
My question:  If (when I have the money) I upgrade the monitor,
which one do I go for ?  The NEC 3D looks a reasonable price, but
will it handle 1024x without adjusting the controls each time ?
Do I have to go as far as the 4D to get non-interlaced 1024x ?

Are there any reasonable monitors that are as good - for example the
Panasonic, or (an unknown name which claims to be as good as the latter)
Semo ?

Anyone got any salutory tales/advice to avoid an error in purchasing ?
Thanks all.
Howard
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not