[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Info on Nanao monitors?

russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) (02/15/91)

Anyone have experiences with Nanao monitors, especially the 9070U or 9080I?
They are more expensive, but supposedly much better quality (both picture
and reliability).  But I heard one report that the 9070U takes 10 or 15
seconds to change between graphics modes.  Is this true in other people's
experience?  Anyone have opinions on Nanaos?

Thanks,
Russ

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (02/15/91)

In article <17896@cs.utexas.edu> russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) writes:
>Anyone have experiences with Nanao monitors, especially the 9070U or 9080I?
>They are more expensive, but supposedly much better quality (both picture
>and reliability).  But I heard one report that the 9070U takes 10 or 15
>seconds to change between graphics modes.  Is this true in other people's
>experience?  Anyone have opinions on Nanaos?

	I decided to get a Nanao 9070U instead of the NEC 4D. It doesn't
really cost more, perhaps $50 more at most. It is an excellent monitor and
I'm glad I made that decision over the NEC 4D. A friend has the 4D and isn't
as pleased. It does not take 10-15 seconds to switch modes. Perhaps 1/4 to
1/2 a second at most. Its only disadvantage compared to the 4D is the lack of
digital memory of the monitor parameters such as V and H pos and size. It is
a very minor disadvantage. The Nanao 9070U is highly recommended.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...phri!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		tso@rockvax.bitnet
				NY, NY 10021

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (02/15/91)

In article <17896@cs.utexas.edu> russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) writes:
>Anyone have experiences with Nanao monitors, especially the 9070U or 9080I?
>They are more expensive, but supposedly much better quality (both picture
>and reliability).  But I heard one report that the 9070U takes 10 or 15
>seconds to change between graphics modes.  Is this true in other people's
>experience?  Anyone have opinions on Nanaos?
>
>Thanks,
>Russ

There's been substantial conversation on this topic on Compuserve
lately.  Generally, the 9080i and NEC4D have been compared.  I
just bought a 9080i.  I'll try to tell you what I know:

The 4D and 9080i both have "microprocessor-controlled" video modes,
meaning they can store a bunch of knob setting for the various modes
(centering, sizing, etc).  The 9070U doesn't have this feature, so
you'd probably have to adjust when switching from 320x200 to 800x600,
for example.

The Nanao's are more expensive than the NEC.  As much as $100 more for
the 9070U and about $300 more for the 9080i.    The 9080i is
bandwidth rated to 1280x1024.  The others go to 1024x768.  The
9080i will run up to 90Hz refresh.  All these monitors have
.28 dot pitch.

A potentially important feature of the Nanaos is that they conform
to stringent Swiss specs for emissions, so if ELF is something that
concerns you, this may be valuable.

My understanding is that Nanao has been around for a while mostly in
the CAD domain, and have recently entered the PC market.

My 16" Nanao 9080i actually measures 14-5/8 from corner to corner
(the so called "view" dimension), but I can adjust the image to
completely fill the screen and beyond (i.e., no visible overscan).

I'm very happy with the Nanao.  For me, the display is clear and sharp.
One person has complained that characters look fuzzy to him, but I
don't see this.
--
/: write failed, file system is full

/: write failed, file system is full

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/16/91)

In article <1124@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
|In article <17896@cs.utexas.edu> russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) writes:
|>Anyone have experiences with Nanao monitors, especially the 9070U or 9080I?
|>They are more expensive, but supposedly much better quality (both picture

More expensive than what? A 14" monitor? No kidding.

|The Nanao's are more expensive than the NEC.  As much as $100 more for
|the 9070U and about $300 more for the 9080i.    The 9080i is

Not from the ads I've seen.

|bandwidth rated to 1280x1024.  The others go to 1024x768.  The
|9080i will run up to 90Hz refresh.  All these monitors have

90Hz refresh is bullshit. What counts is horizontal scan rate because
there is no reason to run faster than 70 Hz refresh. Except for interlaced
displays, which is when you get a so called 90 Hz refresh for each field,
but that translates into 45 Hz refresh for the complete frame. This will
flicker just like television.

--

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.182446.20657@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai)
>In article <1124@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>|In article <17896@cs.utexas.edu> russw@cs.utexas.edu (Russ Williams) writes:
>|>Anyone have experiences with Nanao monitors, especially the 9070U or 9080I?
>|The Nanao's are more expensive than the NEC.  As much as $100 more for
>|the 9070U and about $300 more for the 9080i.    The 9080i is
>
>Not from the ads I've seen.

   We just bought one, and while I wasn;t involved with the 'deal'. Our purch
dept, paid a tone more for the nanao than our regular prices for the NEC's.
I think the dealers aren't discounting the nanao's (or as least as hard) as
NEC's as an established widely available available item.
   If you're doing mail order, it's probably different than local.....
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

IACWSW@ASUACAD.BITNET (Shap Wolf) (02/24/91)

Well, I've got a Nanao 9070U, and haven't noticed any great delay on
switching graphics modes. It is a great monitor, very stable, sharp. I
run it with a Video-7 VRAM VGA card. The one thing I miss is the new feature
that makes adjustments tied to the frequency of the video mode--that is,
when I run Win3 at 800x600 or 1024x768, I have to move the horizontal position
over a tad. No biggie, though. The new ones are supposed to have even better
shielding that this.