[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 2.88Mb floppy drives?

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/23/91)

Toshiba and TEAC both have 2.88Mb 3.5" floppy drives out, as far as I can
tell.  Some mailorder suppliers are selling these drives for as low as
$119.  Getting the disks might be a little more difficult.

But which computers will these drives work with?  The new PS/2 high-end
models, of course, but that's not the point.  Is the data transfer rate
even higher so that a new controller is required?  Who makes a BIOS which
can accept these drives?

Just curious.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (02/27/91)

In article <14`&6Z@rpi.edu> sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>Toshiba and TEAC both have 2.88Mb 3.5" floppy drives out, as far as I can
>But which computers will these drives work with?  The new PS/2 high-end
>models, of course, but that's not the point.  Is the data transfer rate
>even higher so that a new controller is required?  Who makes a BIOS which
>can accept these drives?
I just read an article that says MS DOS 5.0 will handle 2.88 Meg floppies.

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)