[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] i486 / 100 Mhz

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) (02/25/91)

	Hi,

Intel just showed up 100 MHz version about 80486 in some conference
at California.

Does anyone have a little bit more information about that processor,
when it might be finally 'released' aso...

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (02/26/91)

In article <1031@tuura.UUCP> mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:
>Intel just showed up 100 MHz version about 80486 in some conference
>at California.
>
>Does anyone have a little bit more information about that processor,
>when it might be finally 'released' aso...
>
>Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.

Intel has said several times that they do not intend to release the
100mhz version of the 486.  The confrence (ISSACS?) is intended to show off
'mostly working' technologies that may/maynot be actualy released.

It was important for Intel to show this technology since it demonstrates that
the CISC design can keep up with the RISC designes.

It is interesting to note that the 100mhz 486 is 1/4 the size of the 33 mhz
part-- which IMPLIES that chips will soon be holding 4 million transistors.

					- David K

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

jamaass@bluemoon.uucp (Jeffrey A. Maass) (02/26/91)

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:

> 	Hi,
>
> Intel just showed up 100 MHz version about 80486 in some conference
> at California.
>
> Does anyone have a little bit more information about that processor,
> when it might be finally 'released' aso...

Intel announced that the 100 MHz 80486 was just a laboratory excercise,
and will not be released as such. They announced that they will release
a 50 MHz version later this year, based on technology developed as a
result of the 100 MHz excercise, and that future chips would make similar
use of the technologies.

Jeff Maass                   Amateur Radio: K8ND (@ W8CQK)
Powell OH (NW of Columbus)         Netmail: jamaass@bluemoon.uucp
                                   Ma Bell: (614) 873-3234

keithl@loop.uucp (Keith Lofstrom;;;628-3645) (02/27/91)

In article <1031@tuura.UUCP> mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) writes:
>Intel just showed up 100 MHz version about 80486 in some conference
>at California.
>
>Does anyone have a little bit more information about that processor,
>when it might be finally 'released' aso...

The conference was the International Solid State Circuits Conference
(ISSCC);  I saw the tail end of the paper.  The part barely made it
to 100MHz under ideal conditions.  In practice, that would translate
to 60MHz or so in a live system, with extensive cherry picking (sorting
parts for best performance) and careful control of temperature and
power supply.  Those parts would have to be mounted in a multi-chip
module with the second stage cache memory to go at that speed.  I
imagine such a unit won't appear for at least a year, and be damnably
expensive.

Right after the paper, the author went off to a press conference,
rather than to the author interviews.  The session chairman said
Intel may not get a chance to give any papers next year with bad
behavior like that.

There is an interesting three-way battle going on right now, with
Microsoft forming alliances with MIPS, and Sun licensing the Sparc
to other companies.  Intel fights back with a fast CISC.  Whoever
wins, it oughta mean some fast, cheap computing iron in the next
few years.
--
Keith Lofstrom  keithl@loop.uucp ...!sun!nosun!loop!keithl (503)628-3645
Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Power ICs

timd@hotwheel.dell.com (Tim Deagan) (02/28/91)

A sideline to the i486/100MHz topic is the VELOX ICECap.
They have pushed an Everex 25MHz 486 to 50MHz using a Peltier
effect device (piezo electric cooling) to cool the chip to
0 degrees Celcius.
_Rumor_ has it that when the 50MHz 486 arrives the ICECap could
push it close to 100MHz.

                         Rev. Tim Deagan
                     timd@hotwheel.dell.com
                     timd@twaddle.dell.com