[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] trouble in using a 101 keyboard with my OLD AT

liang@occlusal.rutgers.edu (Tajen Liang) (02/27/91)

Hello! People on the net,

Recently I just bought an enhanced (101) keyboard for my OLD AT made
by PC's Limit.  This keyboard works fine with a true blue AT, but not
with my machine.  It does not recognize those keys that old 84
keyboard does not have.  Does anyone know what the cause might be?  Is
there any way to correct this problem beside of getting a 84 keyboard?

Any help will be great appreciated.  Thank you.

-Tajen Liang @ Rutgers

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (02/27/91)

In article <Feb.26.23.32.29.1991.23116@occlusal.rutgers.edu> liang@occlusal.rutgers.edu (Tajen Liang) writes:

>Recently I just bought an enhanced (101) keyboard for my OLD AT made
>by PC's Limit.  This keyboard works fine with a true blue AT, but not
>with my machine.  It does not recognize those keys that old 84
>keyboard does not have.  Does anyone know what the cause might be?  Is
>there any way to correct this problem beside of getting a 84 keyboard?

Your ROM BIOS does not have the routines needed for enhanced keyboard access.
Contact Dell (i.e. what became of PC's Limited) and see if thhey will
update your BIOS.

--
l\  /l '     _    Mike Schuster          ...!cmcl2!panix!schuster
l \/ l l l/ (_    NY Public Access       CIS:70346,1745

cjkuo@locus.com (Chengi Jimmy Kuo) (02/28/91)

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) writes:

>In article <Feb.26.23.32.29.1991.23116@occlusal.rutgers.edu> liang@occlusal.rutgers.edu (Tajen Liang) writes:
>>
>>Recently I just bought an enhanced (101) keyboard for my OLD AT made
>>by PC's Limit.  This keyboard works fine with a true blue AT, but not
>>with my machine.  It does not recognize those keys that old 84
>>keyboard does not have.  Does anyone know what the cause might be?  Is
>>there any way to correct this problem beside of getting a 84 keyboard?
>>

>Your ROM BIOS does not have the routines needed for enhanced keyboard access.
>Contact Dell (i.e. what became of PC's Limited) and see if thhey will
>update your BIOS.

See if anyone has .com files with names like KEYBUS, KEYBUK, etc.  Some of
these replace the INT 9 vector to support the new enhanced keyboard.

Jimmy Kuo (formerly PS/2 model 30 keyboard BIOS)
--
cjkuo@locus.com
"The correct answer to an either/or question is both!"